Pearl River Deli - Chinatown

I think text is better for ordering but if you want to reserve items a day ahead maybe DM Johnny.on IG

2 Likes

text day before always works for me

2 Likes

According to his PRD post, those are soft shell shrimp!

2 Likes

I DM on IG morning of before they open. It’s been more effective than text for me. Phone calls work at opening work, too.

2 Likes

Yeah the duck and noodles is really damn good. Crispy, oily perfection

10 Likes

hold up, wait a minute, forget the duck, prd is using srf pork now?

5 Likes

For a while now…
He also got some more duck, so preorder or reserve for tomorrow. (saw it on IG)

2 Likes

thanks, didn’t know that, thought they were using salmon creek .

2 Likes

Ooops, you might be right.

typhoon shelter soft shell shrimp
fuck where have soft shell shrimp been my whole life? this was damn good. biting into the soft head was a revelation, you get the explosion of head juice and flavor all without the hard, sharp, pointy shell. @TheCookie, @attran99, @JeetKuneBao, @Starchtrade .
the “sauce” of garlic, chilies, and scallions was another highlight, I could just eat that with a bowl of rice.
where else can I get this soft shell shrimp sorcery?

roast duck noodle soup

16 Likes

I wondered about the “soft shell” thing. Looks sooo good!

But that duck. :grimacing:

1 Like

Agree - both dishes were spectacular.
Great chew on the mighty - and meaty - duck leg.

2 Likes

How’s the duck?

it could have been juicier and more tender.

3 Likes

Picked up the roast duck noodle soup today and thought it was good. Thankfully they were able to scrounge up some more legs for today since it had sold out over the weekend.

I was hoping for a bit more meat, but I get that with the limited supply and this being the first weekend it’s offered they’re going to be fine tuning it going forward. The noodles were nice–and I liked the broth–but still might get rice next time. The duck did take some time to chew through, and maybe I let it steam a bit in the container too much, but I was hoping for some crispier skin. That said, the flavor was definitely there and I’m looking forward to seeing it again!

7 Likes

Typhoon Shelter Shrimp

These shrimp were a delight. It very much like salt and pepper prawns I grew up eating…but with way more punch and flavor. My favorite part was the shrimp heads…so much umami deliciousness. Though what am I supposed to do with the leftover breadcrumbs?

Shrimp Fried Rice
I sent this off to work for as dinner for the husband. I stole a bite or two and loved the dried shrimp. Lots of wok hei in my order.

Roast Duck Noodles
This may tie for #2 on my list of PRD favorites following the HCR. The noodles have a perfect chew. The broth is perfect…reminds me of the broth my Mom makes and the broth from Trieu Chau. And then there’s the crispy roasted duck leg! Magnificent! Dipping in the duck sauce, made me not miss the squeeze of lime I usually add to a bowl of soup. There was just the right amount of salty, sweet, acid in it.

Many thanks to Chef @JLee and the PRD for always being so great.

I think PRD was a hub for local chefs today…I ran into Chef Justin from Anajak and Chef Jonathan Liu of Tiger & the Horse. Chef Nguyen Bui of An Com posted an IG story later in the day.

14 Likes

I ate it over rice like furikake, maybe you can add an egg too?

6 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t want to throw them away because they are so tasty. Thanks for the tip!

3 Likes

A mention in Bon Appetit is nice:

7 Likes

hopefully they’re still soft shell shrimp
@rlw, @hungryhungryhippos, @butteredwaffles

8 Likes