Pico Blvd - Best of

Moussaka.

Have not been to Olson’s but huge fan of its owner Christian who is the primary host at Dan Tana’s.

2 Likes

Go! Super cozy

1 Like

Oh wow. That’s interesting.

…and @Gr8pimpin likes the corned beef and crispy rye ends. We’re going. What’s your favorite @Nemroz?

1 Like

I’m officially obsessing.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/food/story/2019-07-23/la-fo-olsons-deli-pico-go-fund-me%3F_amp=true

3 Likes

I’ve been wanting to try Olsen’s. Really loving the new L.A. Times food section.

2 Likes

Me too. Let’s not forget the paper. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

La Cevicheria!

Guatemalan/Central American focused, Seafood Only spot. A welcoming place for expats & seeking Angelenos.

One tall beer per person max. They’ll open bottles.

Tacos de Pescado - Batter-fried Fish, Cabbage, Avocado, Smidge of Tomato, White & Red Sauces

We topped it w/a few swirls of mustard yellow, slightly sweet, very hot, Habanero Sauce and extra Avocado. This is a perfect fried fish taco. :kissing_closed_eyes: I didn’t feel like asking if they’re made w/cod, tilapia, whatever. We just enjoyed them! I’d get double tortillas next time. $6 for 2 tacos.

Aguachile de Camaron (spicy)

No IG plating. Just love in a dish. After the fresh, firm, sweet shrimp, cucumbers, avocado and red onions were consumed we used any edible vehicle left on the table to sop up the bright, sea salty, chile, lime, cilantro sauce! :heart_eyes:

Tostadas

I‘m more of a Saltines w/Aguachile eater. And w/a few exceptions (los anaya) I’m no tortilla expert when it comes to what‘s housemade, what’s from a good company, etc. Paging @Dommy. I tend to go by taste and texture. Unlike Holbox’s tostada shells, which mostly get nixed in favor of crackers, I piled my Aguachile on the LC tostadas.

Tip: order a side of extra Avocado.

La Cevicheria crystallizes that atmosphere comes in all forms. It’s a small L-shaped square w/some tables & chairs, a counter and a kitchen, in a dark & rundown (probably not for long) block of Pico. But Chef Orellana & her crew are bringin’ it. She’s warm and gracious, checking on customers, whipping up Mashed Potatoes, Yams & Chives for a toddler. Dishes flowed with a background of eclectic 90’s R&B… and when a customer congratulated her on the Bib Gourmand everyone cheered, toasted and started sharing beers.

A relaxed, perfectly lovely start to the weekend!

$25 + big tip (cash only).

Parking is sketchy, but there are two lots on each side street and nobody batted an eye when we parked in one. Our spot was dark. Carry your pepper spray… she says as her husband rolls his eyes. :relaxed: But the street is busy and you’ll be fine, Angelenos.

Happy Mid-City Pico Eating!

12 Likes

my lady thanks you in advance! nice one. off radar

1 Like

Those are some sexy tacos!!! Damn!

1 Like

Thanks, Guys!

If you go, by all means order what you want. But, if you happen to order this please report back. It’s next on my list…

Mariscadas Caribena (spicy seafood stew)

2 Likes

that’s exactly what i’d order… but i’d let her have the mussels ew

1 Like

This photo looks so familiar… almost like I took it… :thinking:

If you would like that report as well, here it was from a visit in January:
"When the kitchen has caught up with all their orders, do not be surprised if the male proprietor makes his way out to the dining room to ensure all his customers are taken care of and enjoying their meals. You can tell it is a passion. He also might recommend the (slightly) off-topic mariscada caribeña ($15, below), a soup from another ocean.

This coconut-based stew is sweet and slightly spicy and hits more of the favorites in terms of seafood ingredients. Get good chunks of white rice to soak it in or use it as a topping for mussels and squid."

1 Like

Hah! It started as a coincidence. It was the best photo. Then I saw the byline and purposely didn’t reveal it to see if you’d catch on! :wink:

Nice write-up. That’s exactly what happened with the missus.

1 Like

I screwed up and didn’t order it because of recommendations

We finally went last night since koreatown was all closed or too busy.

I ordered the 7 Mares soup and the ceviche the young girl recommended as the most popular. Both very standard issue though we liked it, it didn’t stand out from any Mariscos we’ve been to

Ceviche was a mixto but had imitation crab for 72% of the seafood. Was also extra extra acidic, like I don’t know how they did that.

Wish I had the time to find this thread before ordering. Didn’t hate it though and will return. Chef is the sweetest lady

1 Like

Yep, I hate when that happens. I forget or don’t have time to look at recs before going someplace then look later and see what I should’ve ordered. Thanks for the Ceviche warning. So many things on that menu I want to try. The Blood Clams are supposed to be their specialty but I’m not ready for those and am going for the Mariscadas Caribena (spicy seafood stew) next time. We thoroughly enjoyed the Aguachile and Batter Fried Fish Tacos (xtra avocado). Warning: they might be tilapia and I know how you feel about that. I’m not a fan but they’re some good tacos. I don’t know how much things “standout from any other Mariscos” but it’s a damn good neighborhood joint. And the owner is a sweetheart. She definitely stands out. :blush:

1 Like

Delicious colors in Arlington Heights…

La Cevicheria - Aguachile :heart:

Crispy Fish Tacos w/Cabbage, Creamy Avocado, Creme, Habanero Sauce is Pretty, Yellow & Lethal :fire:

Community Fridge

If you have food to share or to spare you can find community fridges sprinkled around L.A. This colorfully painted one is across from La Cevicheria.

Something cool, sweet & down the street.

Pictures are worth a thousand words. :heart::blush::heart:

18 Likes

Oh wow! Is that patio section outside of Mateos? I’ll have to pop by soon if that is the case! :smiley:

1 Like

Yep! :smiley:

2 Likes