Possible Ground beef + Ground Turkey combos

if you want the masa flavor you could always lightly char some tortillas and puree with a bit of the juice from the recipe

1 Like

I am lucky that I have a live kill place by my house that makes exceptional ground chicken. Their mix is not all dark meat, which is key in workability. I use it to make Chicken Cutlets, Chicken Meatball, Rice Bowl toppers (Saboro Don, Korean style mixed with Jalapeños, Ma Po Tofu/Nasu, etc…)

1 Like

I think a 28 oz. of canned tomatoes put through a blender would be a reasonable substitute for an 8-oz. can of tomato sauce and two cups of water. Maybe leave out 1/2 cup if you want to get the same 24 oz.

1 Like

Tacos, NY Egg Rolls

What is a “live kill place”?

What’s a NY egg roll?

Chickens get trucked in super early the morning (I’ve see them), they get processed as soon as they are brought in. Then, they are sold and in the pot by the afternoon. The name comes from the fact you can purchase an actual chicken there for later. So it’s your choice on how you want them to give it to you. Live or Killed.

1 Like

They have those in San Francisco’s Chinatown the next time you are in the city

1 Like

The “New York” style egg roll is typically larger than that of the average LA style by at least 2x and is further characterized by its heavy use of shredded cabbage filling and extra-browned /fried/ ends.
Genghis Cohen on Fairfax does a pretty good job, here’s a pic

4 Likes

I’ve been craving a trip. And prepared to be horrified but hopeful of the downtown area.

@Dommy A little anecdote. Thirty years ago we moved from SF to SW Oregon. Our SF house was on a lot 25’ wide and 75’ deep. We moved to SIX ACRES!!! In addition to getting a couple of horses and two Black labs, I had this momentary idea to get a couple of lambs. I quickly realized that I would name them, pet them, look into their big brown eyes…and they would die of old age. Instead I asked a rancher I knew to ‘handle’ it for me. They went to the meat processor and my only involvement was how did I want them packaged. One of my wiser moves :slight_smile:

2 Likes

HA! That is what I tell my friends who want City Chickens for eggs. A well taken care of chicken can live many years past her prime laying years. Eventually you have to make the choice like my Abuela… Pet or Tamales… LOL!!

1 Like

City Slickers :slight_smile: I gotta tell you that changing lifestyles like we did was huge and GREAT! All the things that we were clueless about. I know a woman, a single mom with two kids. She didn’t make a lot of money at her job so she raised a couple of heifers every year. Named them things like “Rib Eye” and “T-Bone” to remind herself and her kids…

2 Likes

Hi guys,

I finally have the time to test the meatloaf combo, but I have one more question/s.

That turkey loaf recipe I cited,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM9Gsqj5Fuk has some details specific to their turkey prep.

According to them, when they tried using a ground beef recipe, it turned our dense and crumbly. Their turkey solution involved specific steps that include these ingredients

• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter** (to compensate for the turkeys lack of fat)

• 1 pinch baking soda** (to create an alkaline environment to make the onions break down faster. I’ve never seen that before, so I don’t know if that’s because of the turkey, or lust beneficial in general)

• 2 teaspoons cornstarch (to trap all the turkey juices, maintaining moisture)

• 2 large egg yolks (again, for added fat, and for binding)

They also use 3 tablespoons quick oats, which I know is not uncommon, but I generally use bread crumbs. I have the oats if necessary.

Am I assuming correctly that the ground beef (i.e. the fat content) will compensate for some of these steps?

I’m trying not to overcomplicate things, but you know how that goes sometimes ::