Random discussion of Covid-19 not specifically related to restaurants or food

When you say that, you might be thinking that most employees at these two workplaces are middle-class (or affluent) White or Asian. Maybe so, but there’s no shortage of unvaccinated Whites in LA.

And what about the other workplaces mentioned in the article?

So far as I’m concerned this horse is dead.

Fine with me, but you did, after all, post the LAT article about outbreak clusters in LA workplaces that leads to what I think are some reasonable questions. Your comment in in prefacing the link was provocative:

“Very useful to see which businesses / sectors are at fault, why haven’t we had this all along?”

That NIOSH list was helpful.

The GVS Eclipse P100 is widely available and inexpensive. Older models apparently had exhalation valves but from comments on Amazon they’ve been removed without change to the model number.

The MSA Advantage 290 is sold out almost everywhere but I found one.

The rest appear to be backordered or discontinued.

2 Likes

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/article/Wastewater-surveys-suggest-COVID-surge-could-be-17306240.php

Not surprising. Some news article had a quote from a hospital employee saying that 15% of their admissions were testing positive.

Actually that’s apparently discontinued as well. So the Eclipse P100 is the only model on the NIOSH list that’s actually available.

Please provide direct cites for those charts or I will delete that post.

The California chart doesn’t match the one from the NY Times, which has more recent data showing the seven-day average death count hit a low of 29 at the end of June and has since risen slightly to where it was at the end of May.

Deaths are unlikely to reach past heights so long as new variants don’t arise that are dramatically more capable of evading vaccines and treatments.

A moderator insisting that you post links to screen shots of charts from another site is just a basic defense against misinformation (which is one of the actual common causes of death for democracy).

You had to have the URLs to take the screen shots so it’s a very modest request.

1 Like

You provided a URL to the front page of the web site. I could not find the charts you posted, so required you to.

1 Like

I’ve used the P100 on flights recently, though I feel a little uncomfortable about the morality of an exhalation valve. Otherwise I recommend.

Have also flirted with the Flo Mask and Envo, but the cost and inability to return led me to the GVS. That is, when I’m not using a 3m Aura N95.

They reportedly removed the exhalation valve.

Though anywhere masks are not required and not everyone is wearing them, it’s every man for himself, so who cares?

1 Like

Interesting, I bought mine on Amazon w/valve about two weeks ago. And it is every man for himself. I’ve been on a few flights the last 6 weeks, 10% masking at best.

That’s my preferred one. I haven’t look at the ones w/ replaceable filters, but I’ll probably give the Flo Mask a closer look. Thanks for the links.

What disturbed me the most was that, on my flights from about 6 wks ago, the flight attendants weren’t part of that 10%. :frowning:

2 Likes

one might imagine that they face peer pressure from the vast majority of their passengers not wearing masks, given that its become a cultural issue

2 Likes

Possibly. When I traveled after the mask mandate had been dropped, I had been expecting a lot of strange looks from others who were not masked. But I don’t recalling receiving any sideways glances, and I am normally quite sensitive to that. I desperately wanted to pull the flight attendants aside to say, “Protect yourself!!!” ::sigh::

2 Likes

I wonder if they’re so exposed they just say fuck it. Or maybe many have had covid recently.

While I understand the masking ship has sailed, I am disheartened by the (small) number of people masking on flights but with substandard masks. Many KNs are as comfortable as surgical or cloth masks. Feels like a public health failure (among the many).

2 Likes

Which airline did you fly and to what city ? We recently flew twice on United an every flight attendant was masked (but only 10-20% of the passengers)

1 Like

Having had a previous version of Omicron does not protect against infection by BA.5. I’ve seen reports of people infected twice in less than two months.

1 Like

Southwest → Los Angeles to Denver, Denver to Montrose. Only 1 flight attendant on those 2 flights combined was wearing a mask.

While there were very few masked passengers on either flight, I was lucky that the few who were masked were all seating near me.

Not on a flight, but I was picking up a to-go order yesterday, and I saw someone using what I would describe as a clear mouth shield. The shield was quite small (maybe a few inches in each direction) and basically was attached to a stand that was attached to her head kind of similarly to how a mask would be attached. I wondered if she worked w/ the deaf population (clear view of her mouth). Couldn’t help but wonder if such a device is basically useless. :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah… the mouth shields. They got popular in Asia. I think depending on the rules, face shields are not the same as masks. I know when I was in the Bay Area, a tourist was trying to get on the Ferry with a face shield only and was told to mask up or no boarding.

1 Like