Random Thoughts & Questions

it’s in the travel section so it’s probably more for tourists who are looking to visit LA…

[Low-carb clichés be damned, pizza is having a moment. Pie after pie flies out of the open kitchen of Mother Wolf, Hollywood’s buzziest new restaurant — fans include Rihanna and Michelle Obama — which occupies a gilded Art Deco landmark, the Citizen-News building. (Overheard at the bar: “If you squint, it’s almost like you’re in New York.”)]

and there it is, the annoyance of New Yorkers stereotyping LA once again. Their smuggery continues…

4 Likes

Not the name of the restaurant itself, but while I’m fine with vegan food, I’ve never been to Cafe Gratitude because of the names of the dishes. I cannot bring myself to order I Am Charismatic, I Am Fortunate etc etc.

9 Likes

" I Am Unsatiated"

5 Likes

They don’t actually make you do that, it’s like ordering a medium at Starbucks. Fwiw the food has been surprisingly fine in my experience.

2 Likes

It’s been yrs since I’ve been, but I actually thought the food was pretty good, too.

@cookiemonster: you missed the best part. The servers repeat your order as, “You are Charismatic.” That’s the part that made me… squeamish.

2 Likes

My one visit to Cafe Gratitude was because a friend was depressed and I knew that hating that “You are _____” nonsense would make her feel better.

The author’s not a food writer.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q="Sheila+Yasmin+Marikar"+site%3Anytimes.com

Random question: “legit” EVOO is supposed to solidify when refrigerated, correct? B/c I poured a small amount of EVOO from Costco into a container and put it the fridge (not to test it, but so that I wouldn’t forget about it at work… don’t ask), and it didn’t solidify at all.

1 Like
1 Like

I would really like to try these burgers but the name “Crack” is so tacky and cringey to me.

8 Likes

Ah, but tackiness is often a hallmark of great low-to-midrange food spots :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What comeback story? Did we go somewhere?

3 Likes

I hate that also.

2 Likes

I would definitely eat there . A 9 hole golf course . Definitely not on the pga tour . I think what they meant by crack from the reporter . Was more like a crack in concrete. Not the drug .

1 Like

where’s max?

the truffle oil is from sushi note. but where’s the fake wasabi from? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

The wasabi seems like a funny thing to complain about. Does anybody give you a big pile of fresh wasabi? You usually get fresh wasabi for individual pieces, I don’t think anyone is forcing him to use the powdered wasabi. Is it more polite to force guests to ask for wasabi if they want to ruin their nigiri.

Idk :man_shrugging:

maybe it was for the sashimi?

Using industrial grade wasabi is a bad look for any sushiya north of $250pp…

6 Likes

Maybe I’ll just order takeout / delivery to try it. No need to say any of the names out loud.

found it. nozawa bar.

7 Likes

Is this pre or post Nemroz math? :joy:

4 Likes