Refreshing drinks (non-alcoholic)

Ah yes!!! Soda Chanh is one of my favorite things too. But I suck those down too easy. The best one I’ve had in recent memory was from Pho Hue Oi in Redondo. But that is because I haven’t been to little Saigon in ages (hence the reason Cococane isn’t on my list… I just know I would love it…)

1 Like

Ack! That has my name written all over it… sadly I always get distracted by their cocktails to give their Agua Frescas a try yet…

1 Like

Argh!! Even at Filipino places it’s hard to find! It’s one of the few reasons to go Barrio Fiesta…

I seldom drink, so I really appreciate this thread. Here are some things that I haven’t yet seen mentioned:

On the high-end:

• Cassia makes a couple cocktails with Seedlip that are non-alch and great.
  • Bavel’s housemade ginger beer was terrific. Would go back just for that!
  • Cassell’s housemade tamarind soda(!) brought back memories of the Pok Pok drinking vinegars mentioned upthread. It was excellent and a great foil to a patty melt.

On the affordable-ish end:

• The Fizzy Hoppy Tea at any of the Go Get Em Tiger locations has been a standby for many years. Citra hops and carbonated black tea. It’s a unique and delicious experience.
  • Calamansi soda at Sari Sari Store.
  • Any of the agua frescas that y’all have mentioned.
  • Mineragua.
  • Ask for the Barista’s “Signature Drink” at any of the Demitasse coffee locations. If the barista has one, it’ll definitely be a fun and unique experience. Gatlin at the Little Tokyo location once made me something that was like an espresso-watermelon-slush. Sounds weird, tasted amazing.

[Also this last tip isn’t LA-specific, but if you ever find yourself in Portland, go to Either/Or for their amazing mocktails section, complete with some coffee-based beverages that will blow. your. mind.]

3 Likes

Dialogue and Somni both offer entirely non-alcoholic beverage pairings for their menus.

2 Likes

Any recommendations for Cococane in the SGV? The first time I heard about it was when some folks were discussing this place in Rosemead but I saw stand walking through the Thuan Phat Supermarket and shops in El Monte. I didn’t catch the name so when I yelped it I was surprised to see at least a few sugar cane places in close proximity.

I’m not familiar with the drink at all so maybe a tour is in order as long as nobody waves me off specific locations.

1 Like

You really can’t go wrong at Cococane. But maybe the original for a first timer? Just lovely coconut juice with fresh coconut flesh. I also like the coconut-pineapple combination, too.

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-14/for-bartenders-dry-january-is-the-time-to-get-weird

1 Like

Oh, I thought Cococane was the drink! Good to know. Sugar cane drinks and the Vietnamese limeade @chinchi, @hanhgry and @Dommy are the most unknown to me in this thread

2 Likes

Thanks for the link! Dryuary is part of what made me think of this subject, also. That’s cool Dave Arnold offers non-alcoholic drinks at Existing Conditions. He did answer a question about mocktails in an episode of Cooking Issues a year or so ago that showed he puts a lot of thought into them. Would love to try his drinks but might have to settle for the Seedlip products you mentioned!

Hi @WireMonkey,

Well “Cococane” is the name of the drink, and it’s the name of a specific shop as well. :wink: Yes, slightly confusing.

1 Like

Do check out seedlip, interesting herbaceous flavor. Pitched as a non-alcoholic gin alternative.

Yeah the non-alcoholic mixed drink offerings today has come a loooooong way since the days where you’re choices were limited to the who’s who of college party favorites like virgin margarita, bloody mary, pina colada. Restaurants seem to be starting to make an effort.

Btw there’s even a non-alcoholic bar that’s opened up in Brooklyn last year

1 Like

Soda chanh is a regular order for me at every Vietnamese restaurant. I’ve loved it since I was little.

1 Like

Thuan Fat supermarket is straight up sugarcane juice. I used to go to the one on Valley back in the day!

I seen some of these SGV places making “cococane” as well as copycats in Little Saigon as well.

I say go with the place that originated it. It’s such a simple and genius idea. It is truly refreshing a mix of coconut water, sugarcane juice, and tender pieces of coconut.

1 Like

Watchout for those wretched kids :laughing:

3 Likes

Haha my aunt worked high up in the Chevys food chain when I was a kid and I always thought I was so cool knocking back virgin frozen daiquiris all dinner long.

Extra whipped cream of course.

1 Like

Yep @Sgee, Seedlip is catching on. Here’s something to make at home for yourself and to make your non-alcohol guests feel special.
https://seedlipdrinks.com/us/shop/

Si Laa on Robertson made the best Thai Iced Tea I’ve had so far, on point balance with sweetness.

1 Like

Got this at Pho Filet 2 in Rosemead:

It was, um… salty? Definitely somebody’s favorite drink but not mine. Still glad I tried it!

1 Like

I just get the regular…the pickled one isn’t exactly my cup of tea, either.