Republique

Between paying close to $50 per person, the line, the communal tables, and the hit and miss food, I’m once again underwhelmed by Republique’s brunch. I keep thinking that it’ll be better the next time I go there, but nope…I come away with the same impression every single time…I guess I’ll only go for dinner from now on.

curried chicken hand pie | raisins, caramelized onions, walnuts, apple, celery, sweet potato

This hardy hand pie has probably been sitting for a little too long so you can tell that the crust is a bit soggy while the filling is just okay. This reminds me of a less well done version of the curried chicken or beef hand pie at Chinese bakeries around Monterey Park.

matcha brioche

It’s got a nice crunchy crust and a buttery interior that’s countered with sweet matcha pastry cream and rasphberry jam. The balance between the savory, sweet, and bitter (matcha powder) elements works really well here.

kouign amann

This KM is quite mediocre despite their good buttery flavor. It’s lacking that exterior crunch that’s so crucial to a good KM. Moreover, the bottom layer of hardened caramel that’s supposed to contribute to more crunch isn’t done evenly so I only got crunch in certain parts.

creme brulee bomboloni
A light and pillowy ball with a caramelized sugar exterior and stuffed with a creme brulee flavored pastry cream. Excellent.

maine lobster omelette | gruyère cheese, tarragon, hollandaise, spinach, arugula and tomato salad

The fresh arugula salad with a simple lemon vinaigrette is very light and refreshing and acts as a counterpoint to the heavier hollandaise doused omelette. The omelette itself is, again, mediocre. In addition to the sparing use of lobster (I can barely taste any), the omelette is a bit overcooked with its texture leaning on the rubbery side despite its nice looking appearance.

quiche | carmelized onion, kale, mushroom, gruyère cheese, baby green salad
Similar to the previous salad, this baby green salad on the side is excellent. The quiche, on the other hand, is quite good with a flavorful crust and a semi-soft egg custard filled with myriad of flavorful but vegetarian friendly ingredients.

shakshouka | wood-oven baked tomatoes & peppers, farm eggs, black kale, chickpeas, yogurt, baguette
I’ve never had shakshouka before but this reminds me of a good tomato soup with a Middle Eastern spice and herb twist. It’s nice to have finally tried it but it’s not something that I would crave for. As for the “best in the city” baguette, it doesn’t deserve that title with their lunch offerings. It’s nothing like the ones I’ve tried during dinner where its crunchy exterior crust contrasted so well with it’s moist and fluffy center. It’s none of that and devolved to being merely average.

3 Likes

Mushroom toast
Smoked salmon tartine
Pie
Berry tres leches

Other items are hit or miss, these items are amazing.

2 Likes

That mushroom toast is so good! I had the lobster omelette last June, and mine had plenty of lobster and was perfectly executed. Sorry to hear about your subpar experience, @moonboy403.
Was the passion fruit cream pie in the counter?

The one with mango? Nope, but I was holding out hope before going there!

My reference seafood omelette is Connie and Ted’s. :drooling_face:

I stopped in for pie on Thursday and they were sold out by 1 pm it made me so sad.

potato and leek beignets, gruyere, horseradish

rodolphe le meunier butter

big eye tuna tartare, imperial kaluga caviar, smoked tomato, toasted baguette

eclairs - duck liver mousse, perigord black truffle, santa barbara pistachios
Didn’t taste much truffle but the slightly sweet and crisp shell paired great with the liver.

spring pea soup

crispy soft-shell crab, green beans, roasted cashews, sweet chile sauce

(new) spring caprese - gioia burrata, kojima farms kiwi, sungold tomatoes
Loved the sweet kiwis

campanelle, maine lobster, preserved meyer lemon, basil
A little bit lighter and brighter than the malfadine version but still delicious.

dover sole a la meuniere - potato mousseline, brown normandy butter, meyer lemon
Delicious firm and sweet meat with a rich sauce and a hit of acid #solefood

side of mashed butter

en croute - strawberry, rhubarb, kumquat, vanilla aka monkey brains
Slightly different prep but still my favorite dessert at republique.

10 Likes

Nice @PorkyBelly. The Spring Pea Soup looks delicious (as does most everything else). :slight_smile: Was it your birthday? If so, Happy Birthday! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thanks @Chowseeker1999, it was my friend’s birthday. the soup and everything else was a hit, not a single miss. don’t forget the awesome en croute dessert too.

2 Likes

My goodness :scream:

3 Likes

Fantastic!!!

Your pictures look good enough to eat though!

I have a question. My cousin’s daughter (late 20ish) is coming in from NYC. He wants to take her to Republique. What section would you ask to sit in for this occasion? Thanks!

Loud and more action: main dining room table, non high top, non communal seating

Quiet and dark: upstairs

1 Like

Great!

for a father, daughter dinner i would go with a two-top in the more lively main dining room.

2 Likes

Perfect

1 Like

Finally had the eggs on eggs. Uni was excellent tonight. Sweet, briny and fresh. Great bite of food. One of the best dishes we’ve had in a while.

The 14oz dry aged rib eye was fantastic. Well cooked and great beefy flavor. Fries were a touch salt but excellent. The steak at Republique was considerably better than the dry aged Holstein at Majordomo.

Everything else wonderful as usual. The best bread and butter. Took some home. The salads were perfect. Super seasonal produce like sweet figs. The arugala had a lovely bite.

Republique firing on all cylinders as usual.

4 Likes

Truly a shame they didn’t get a star and yet Bistro Na’s did. I just booked based on your report of the uni. Did you happen to catch if the corn agnolotti was in the menu?

I don’t think the corn agnolotti was on the menu but not 100%. They had the lobster malfadine but we opted to try something new and got the spinach cavatelli with morels. Outstanding. Chewy texture from the al dente cavatelli and lovely copious amounts of morels.

1 Like

corn agnolotti is back on the menu.

4 Likes