Republique

Only a true FTC would even dare to ask. My favorite part of the email is that you used your FTC handle. Brilliant.

3 Likes

I was actually surprised that they said no given how the base of the two pies are probably the same and toppings go on after the pie is baked!

Anyone knows if the strawberries are HB gaviota?

Easy solution.

Okay, so I know I’m really slow about these things, but… do I put the pick up day and time that I want on the form?

1 Like

You sure do!

2 Likes

For those who wonder if we can do half mango and half strawberries if we were to order 2 pies:

tenor

6 Likes

No offense, but customers like you are the reason why I couldn’t work in a restaurant (too often I would punch them in the face)

2 Likes

None taken. For the record, I’m not mad at all about them not doing it. It is what is it and it doesn’t hurt to ask especially if the request is within reason. In this particular case, I thought it’s a quite reasonable request with no additional work on their part really.

1 Like

At any high-volume, high-expectation restaurant, any special request represents an unexpected accommodation and shift of attention/focus to their work flow (however slight as it may be). This does translate into necessary additional effort on their part.

1 Like

Your situation only applies if it’s an in restaurant order with tickets flying off their system, but not when it’s a preordered baked good that’s made at least 24 hours in advance.

you should call and ask to speak with a manager, just in case.

2 Likes

Again, I respect the fact that they said no and that’s fine. But let’s not kid ourselves that it’s a crazy request when the intention is to preorder two pies and asking them to place half of the toppings of one pie to the other and it’ll somehow divide their attention because they might be very busy. :roll_eyes:

I think I’d only feel like punching a customer if they were rude, but YMMV.

We’ll agree to disagree. Someone on Margarita’s team will likely need to do a quality check just to make sure there’s no different baking times or different preps for the custom 1/2 & 1/2 request for two different toppings on one pie that you asked for. Cuz if your special pie turns out less than optimal, poor Republique gets shat on by the peanut gallery here for not being able to execute a “simple” special request.

So yes, I envision more work.

If the fruit toppings do need to be baked, then I completely agree with you. But for the MPFCP, the only component that needs baking is the crust. They then pour on passion fruit custard before topping it with pastry cream and follow with raw mango slices. I would imagine the SPFCP is made exactly the same way looking at the pictures.

Maybe the better way was to ask them to slice the fruit without putting them on the pie so I can do the half and half myself. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I worked at a no modification policy restaurant and to me it eliminates any discrimination.

No to everything.

Regardless of simplicity, perceived simplicity or reason.

Thats not always fun or easy to explain though, especially in a case like yours

5 Likes

There’s no need for an explanation in my book. A no is a no but I was just thinking out loud. Perhaps that tongue-in-cheek meme didn’t help!

2 Likes

I tend to get more annoyed when customers always try to customize their dishes in any kind of restaurants - it is a kind of entitlement I never understand. If they don’t like a dish on the menu, order something else

1 Like

I think, but am not sure, that @moonboy403 really likes the mango and thinks he’ll like the strawberry but doesn’t want to order both b/c he doesn’t think he could eat them both b/f they spoil?

I’ve never worked at a restaurant, but I’d like to think that I wouldn’t be super annoyed if someone made a polite request and accepted a “no” w/o complaint. ::shrug::

Not at all! I thought the meme was hilarious.

It brought back so many memories of no-fun conversations I’ve had over the years, where I finally had to tell people, look, I agree with you, we should allow this modification, but the answer is no and that’s not going to change

4 Likes