Reservations affected by coronavirus?

It seems that many hard to make reservations are becoming easily available suddenly.
For example just made Bestia for 4 people on Fri night, Kato and Providence are suddenly available as well. Is this due to coronavirus? Fewer tourists? Local citizens afraid to go out?

1 Like

what? u got a friday night rez for bestia this late in the game? I have to start patrolling the reservation apps more. Thanks for the tip

1 Like

I actually heard that some of the premier restaurants reservation systems look up the IP addresses of the diners and cross reference whether they’ve been active on FTC and thus prioritized into reservations. Also i’m not serious.

6 Likes

Ktown Shutting going down next I fear

Good lord, a month ago I made a reservation for 4 this coming Monday at Bestia and could only get 5:30. Just checked and they have a 7PM available.

Just picked up a few shares of GRUB

1 Like

Bestia is booked for the next 4 weeks on a Sat night on Open Table.

1 Like

The FTC crew must have jumped on it!

Spoke to a SGV businessman and former restaurant owner who estimated Chinese restaurant business in the SGV is currently down 30 percent.

1 Like

Went to dim sum with a friend last Saturday at 12:45pm at Sea Harbour in Rosemead. Place is usually packed, but when I went…

6 Likes

Holy moly

If landlords don’t offer temporary relief to their tenants there are going to be a lot of them stuck with empty properties soon

1 Like

It’s my chance to go to Sea Harbour without having to line up! Sweet!

1 Like

Just got back from New York where people in the restaurant industry told me they are really being affected, although there were still huge lines at a midtown quick casual place where I picked up lunch.

I profited from the slowdown by making a last minute reservation at a high end small sushi restaurant. At first the restaurant said they couldn’t accommodate me until the second seating, and I didn’t want to hang out in that part of town until late in the evening, so I passed. Even though I didn’t leave my contact information, a few minutes later the restaurant rang back my cell phone and said they had spoken to the chef and he would make an extra place for me. At dinner, the chef mentioned that business had been down all week, so I guess they weren’t eager to lose a last minute weekend diner since the restaurant’s fixed costs go on despite a slowdown in business. Another customer asked the chef about fish buying and he said he could cope except for white fish which apparently goes bad sooner than more fatty fish.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Eater LA’s article about Newsom’s expanded closures to include restaurants, but to go order sales are allowed. It added that this is a guidance and not a mandate. So, are OC restaurants open for dine in or just to go, if anyone knows? Thanks.