Restaurants checking vaccination status: threat or menace?

I predict you’re going to have a bad time in 2022 starting in Q4 2021

5 Likes

Info for Eater15:

You can download a QR-coded proof of vaccination to your phone or desktop from the site that Robert posted, or you can get a replacement CDC card from the place where your vaccinations were administered.

Here’s a CDC webpage (updated Oct. 5, 2021) with more information (in the “lost” section) about replacements:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/vaccination-card.html

Warrior: Hopefully OpenTable, Resy, and Tock will set up a system so we don’t continually have to show our phone to the host/hostess. That would be just too much to bear at Republique.

Every customer is a potential threat to the host/hostess and everyone else working in restaurants. It is the absolute bare minimum we can do.

5 Likes

There’s a related discussion of this general topic on another thread that started here

Warrior: Anyone know the Covid death rate for 25yo non-obese vaccinated adults? The comparative death rate from driving? I don’t have the numbers myself, but I think the hosts/hostesses will be just fine. I suspect most of them would love to ditch the masks.

Since states like Florida don’t report realistic numbers (and most likely heavily undercount deaths across ages but particularly in younger people) it will be impossible to get those numbers

Please let me know the next time someone transmits a car crash to a host who brings it home from work and kills their grandmother. Lord I’m sick of this comparison - it just doesn’t fit.

9 Likes

Your lifetime risk of dying in an auto accident is 0.9% in the US per a quick google search. So @PeonyWarrior, are you advocating that a 25 year old host/hostess should not wear a seatbelt?

1 Like

Warrior: I would support forced vaccinations on all citizens. I advocate that all people get vaccinated and move on with their lives or at least don’t try to impose their fears on everyone else. I believe it is abusive to make a 25 yo vaccinated host/hostess wear a mask all day–and particularly abusive to make kids wear them–because the threat of COVID to those people is small. Srsly makes a good point, but I think the time has come to move on with life, and it is not feasible to prevent transmission of COVID to older people forever, so the best we can do is just all get vaccinated.

Just curious - do you have kids ? I hear the argument that wearing mask is abusive etc. but if you talk with kids, e.g. with our own daughter, it actually doesn’t bother them at all. So this argument of moving on with our lives to that the poor, oppressed people don’t have to wear masks is just BS. I don’t understand what is so bothersome for people to wear a mask

3 Likes

such a ridiculous comment …jesus, you need proof for all kinds of things…stop with the “threat to your freedom” bullshit and protest something thats a real threat!

5 Likes

Making me wear mask is particularly abusive!

My daughter just wears her mask around the house. I have to remind her to take the mask off literally all the time.

3 Likes

Peony: I disagree with Warrior, too. Even you are vaccinated, you might still be able to carry the virus. Realistically, it’s not possible everyone will get vaccinated. Wearing a mask helps stop the spreading the virus in the community.

5 Likes

Warrior: I know it’s abusive to me. I forego the gym because of the stupid mask rule; it’s miserable to wear a mask when working out. I can’t play basketball because of the stupid mask rule. I know when I was a kid, I would not have wanted to be wearing a mask at recess and I would have been pissed to be wearing it in the classroom. I also think facial expressions are a basic part of human interaction and human development. And it’s hard to understand what people are saying when they’re wearing masks. So I don’t agree with this notion that wearing masks is this “small little step” we can take to prevent the spread of COVID. It’s not the same as seatbelts. I disagree with Peony! But I do realize that people want what’s best for their kids and their families; obviously there is no malice involved here.

1 Like

Peony: I don’t enjoy wearing a mask all the time, either. Maybe I am “sacrificing” a little bit of my comfort, but I am very happy to do it because this little inconvenience can help our community and maybe even saving lives. We can’t be selfish and only think about ourselves!

5 Likes

The definition of abusive is “extremely offensive and insulting” - what you describe are barely inconveniences. If school kids can we wear mask 10+hr/day including all sport activities like soccer, basketball etc it shouldn’t be much for adults to do the same without crying so we can save some lives. And no offense but reading this from somebody who names himself on this board “warrior” isn’t without a lot of irony - you might consider changing your name - I might have some suggestions

3 Likes

好的回答! (Great reply!)

1 Like