Return to Sender - New York's NoMad Arrives in L.A. - Mezzanine [Thoughts + Pics]

Yep, that’s what I do with my Whole Foods Roasted Chicken, and use the carcass for quick stock - around $11.00 each and $2.00 off on Wednesday. And yes, @tailbacku, it’s nice on the family budget.

P.S. I haven’t had a Costco Chicken (no locale in my ‘hood). But some say they are rather tasty.

Happy :poultry_leg: Eating!

To get back on topic. The NoMad space looks beautiful - a lot like its neighbor, The Oviatt Building, which houses Cicada.

I agree re the Costco chicken. But when I first started cooking for my dog I used those. But then switched to the pressure cooker which gave me cheaper and moister chicken and lots of great stoc.

Bullshit

1 Like

I don’t think they’re serving any less of the chicken in LA than they are in NYC. From the NY Times and Bon Appétit articles about the NYC version, it looks like you get the meat from the legs, but not most of the skin, the meat from the wings or neck, the other bits of meat on the carcass, or the innards.

I meant they took it out of the title to avoid confusion. They’ve obviously had to explain themselves a few times.

“Chef Daniel Humm of Eleven Madison Park and The Nomad makes the case for a technique that eliminates dry roast chicken, now and forever.”

Bullshit again. My breast was quite dry.

1 Like

Calling it “foolproof” is a ludicrous exaggeration.

forgot to mention but nomad did the same thing with their $28 baked alaska. brought it out to show and lit it. then they took it back for plating and left about 1/3 of it off when served. are they using the remainder for sauce as well? Does this break their fragile ecosystem as well?

3 Likes

Things like that are just plain weird. I’d call them about it. Maybe write Pete Wells.

I’d pay the price for Zuni’s chicken anyday, def one of the best roast chickens I’ve ever had.

Yeah, Zuni’s chicken is great. While I have the recipe, I do not have a wood-burning oven, or a good place to hang a chicken for three days.

I didn’t see the eater recipe talking about ‘hanging’ for three day. Or at all. And here’s the recipe I’ve used. No woodburning stove.

In some interview she said at the restaurant they salted the birds and hung them for three days.

1 Like

Thanks. I just wish I could find that small a bird. I should look for a local farmer.

If you have some freezer space there in Tahoe I recommend these, https://joyce-farms.com/products/poulet-rouge-fermier-coquelet-1-9-2-5-lbs. I too am a huge fan of Zuni’s roast chicken and bread salad.

1 Like

Thomas Keller’s roast chicken technique has served me well over the years.

1oz black winter truffle ($105) slice and stuff under breast skin + 1 designer chicken ($25) + 1 knob of designer butter ($5) to baste after roasting = Well perfumed kitchen + truffle fix + dinner for the family.

6 Likes

THANK YOU!!! So great to have a source. And on hand any time I want that chicken.

1 Like

You can say a lot of things about Aesthete, but you cannot question his taste buds!

Here you go listing my two go-to chicken dishes in LA… I bet we’d get along…

1 Like