Road Trip!

There would have been fewer posts if people had read the opening post more carefully.

Yeah, what are we talking about again? Parking and fog?

OP modified her request and joined in on this broader convo.

Nobody is deterring anyone from doing anything. :wink: Just gathering facts and preferences here. There’s a lot of helpful information, which will help not only me, but future Northern travelers.

Sooo… we’ve decided to go for it and drive up AND back. Why not? We live in L.A. with a turbo engine car, whose computer reads its average speed is 17 mph. Well that was money well spent. We’re taking the scenic route up and stopping at an undecided town along the way, taking the faster route home.

As far as the “you’re not crossing state lines” or going to “Iceland” comments (very funny, btw, haha), I know that. It’s not a monumental trip. I’ll explain. I admit to not liking to be in the car for long periods, plus a fear of heights (not conducive traits for this particular road trip). BUT the reason I appear to be thinking it’s a once in a lifetime thing, never to be done again is because I.Love.The.Sun.Period. We do P.S. I’ve been to Mexico 11 times. But who knows? This thread is warming me to the North (sounds like a GOT reference). I mean, I hated going to Boston as a kid in MA, but when we went back a few years ago I absolutely fell in love with it. Love! Of course, there was the promise of driving to Woods Hole and getting on the ferry to Martha’s Vineyard (Road Trip!) as the cherry on the icing of the cake, so…

Anyway, once we lock this thing down I might be asking for a few more tips (I don’t know S.F. at all, I mean at all) and hope you peeps still have the stomach for it. I’m actually having a lot of fun! :hugs:

8 Likes

#liveyourlife #youdoyou

4 Likes

Is it worth it? I love chicken. Since I cook so much of it at home I rarely order it in restaurants unless it’s a fried chicken, of course. :slight_smile: But I’ve read so much about the darn Zuni Chicken and we’re going in May. Do those of you who’ve had it love it?

No arguments. Please. It’s just food. :hugs:

I’ve not gotten the chicken at the restaurant but it’s the only one I cook at home. I once asked on CH if anyone had cooked it and preferred a different one and every person preferred the Zuni one. And I’ve never been able to get the size or quality of hers so I bet it’s really good.

I’m wondering if it’s $70, 60 minute wait good? I’m looking at the menu. :stuck_out_tongue: So many good looking things.

I hear ya. It probably wouldn’t be for me but obviously there’s a reason it’s been so popular for so long. Maybe fix it at home. The salad, IMO, really is as wonderful.

Zuni’s chicken is great. The bread salad with all the chicken fat and juices is what makes it special compared with other wood-roasted chickens (which are usually spit-roasted rather than pan-roasted). The recipe’s in the Zuni Cookbook but if you don’t have a wood-burning oven and bread as good as Acme’s it won’t come out the same.

1 Like

:smile: I’ve seen this about 5 times on this board.

It’s more like two $31.50 entrees on the same plate than one $63 one.

Oh yeah! Now I remember reading that.

As I wrote, I’m sure it’s not as good but it’s still quite good.

The chicken is great. Juicy and packed with flavor. As Robert said the bread soaking up the juices are better. Is it worth the wait and price tag? I’m happy I experienced the Zuni chicken once but not sure I would order it again mainly for some of the reasons you listed. We can make chicken at home that is very good - not Zuni good of course but at a fraction of the price. Make sure to order the french fries regardless.

Don’t tell anybody but we had a chicken and roasted mushroom dish the next night at Delfina that we liked better. To be fair the Delfina chicken was a full composed dish with a lovely au jus and those mushrooms were fantastic.

1 Like

Oooh, really? Hmmm…

Delfina’s chicken has been on the menu since they opened maybe 20 years ago and is really good - do they still serve it with the super creamy/buttery mashed potatoes?
I make the Zuni chicken at home fairly regularly with the bread, currants, champagne vinegar, etc. and it is a pretty good approximation (sans wood oven) but I’m glad I had it at Zuni once so that I know what it is supposed to taste like.

1 Like

You’re not going to Antarctica. I’ve only been to SF twice (once ~15 ys ago for several wks and then again in 2010 for a few days). The weather was fine. It’s a little bit more temperate than LA and sometimes you get some fog.

Bring a scarf, a heavy-ish jacket (by LA standards), some light long pants, one pair of closed-toe shoes (to keep your toes warm), and you’ll be fine. SF is just like LA except way smaller, more manageable (on multiple levels), less apathetic, w/ a greater density of nice mid-range restaurants (based on my last trip which was, again, a LONG time ago), and w/ much more militantly progressive people who will talk about the weird LA-SF rivalry that nobody in LA ever knew existed b/c we’re too benignly self-absorbed to think about other people in LA, let alone people who live all the way in a diff part of the state. :slight_smile:

BTW, I say all of the above as someone who was literally scared to get out of the car to go to the 99 cent store when we were visiting extended family in Fresno (and I NEVER say no to going into a 99 cent store), so you can totally trust me when I say that I agree w/ everyone who says that SF is pretty easy.

5 Likes

Coolio

1 Like

I love it! :smile: Thanks!