Ruen Pair - Thai Comforts

They CAN, but they DON’T. Those of you who don’t know (and the companies DON’T want you to know): merchant card processors (i.e., the credit card companies) hit the merchant for fees which are anywhere between 2 and 8 percent of every transaction. Generally, the more “bonus-y” the card, the higher the cut the merchant pays. If your restaurant is running on a thin margin, that chunk can be the difference between making payroll or not. The Hollywood RP seems to do pretty good business without taking credit cards.

I don’t understand why companies agree to this when Square does 2.75 - 3.5% + 15c?

Had dinner here a few months ago, thought it was beyond underwhelming. This place really really sucks.
Go to luv2eat or jitlada for good thai.

What did you have and what did you think specifically sucked?

What a detailed and mesmerizing review!

The 3-4 times we’ve been there we thought the food was on par with the Ruen Pair Hollywood branch. The food at Ruen Pair in Industry is much better than anything else you’d get within a 20 mile radius especially if you’re talking about North OC. We’ve enjoyed
Chinese brocoli with deep fried pork
tom young goon
pad see ewe
larb
papaya salad
Based on other reviews we are going to try the egg with salty turnip and ground pork with Chinese olives the next trip.

1 Like

Per Jonathan Gold (25 years ago), it’s Thai-Chinese.

morning glory with crisp pork belly (not on the current menu)

pork with Chinese olives

Bacon and eggs.

5 Likes

Went for lunch on Monday. Had great service, I think partly because there was just a few patrons. We got wine by the glass, which was a very decent chardonnay. They also have a $10 corkage fee.

Ordered their pork larb, medium spicy, which my husband loves. I think they add roasted rice powder, which gives it a hint of smokiness.

I love their papaya salad with dried shrimp, medium spicy! Tried it once with raw crab - not a fan, but folks who like raw crab seem to love it.

Tried a new dish this time - the fried pompano. We asked for sauce on it, but they brought it on the side. I’d order it this way next time, makes it it easier to pick off the crispy bits. We both really liked the fish, and it was the only dish we finished.

Lastly, we got my fave dish here, the stewed intestine. Excellent as always!

We enjoyed the leftovers for lunch the next day. I’ve gotten the food spicer before and I think we’ve settled on medium spicy for a nice balance.

3 Likes

Also, everyone who was in the resto with us eating lunch ended up at Bhan Kanom Thai after - no kidding, everyone.

1 Like

The fried pompano is really good. It’s on our regular rotation.

1 Like

According to Yelp, the City of Industry location has closed. I called the number and it’s been disconnected.

1 Like

This is a terrible way to start the weekend. Was going to eat at the City of Industry location this weekend after these thread updates. But thanks for saving me a trip.

I was inspired, too…hence the need to look it up for bookmarking purposes.

Yeah, Remy’s Noodle Shop which was in the same shopping center closed like 8-10 months ago, and re-opened recently where Ruen Pair was.

pad kee mao with crispy pork

guess i should have posted my ruen pair report here.

Now you have. Ish.

1 Like

one of the things i prefer here vs say egullet where they have a tyranny of merging threads until they become so large and unwieldy that you can’t find the truly useful information that is there.