Saffy's - East Hollywood

I didn’t know that mini kabob did pop up’s there (nm I just followed them on insta and it popped up in a story). I had only heard of la morra doing some awhile back.

2 Likes

@hungryhungryhippos mini Kabob is doing a pop-up next Monday, Nov 14 at the wine place they did last time. The last pop-up sold out in an hour, Armen said. I want to eat his food hot of the grill so badly but the chance of beating that huge crowd would be thin :cry:

At the restaurant, they have one bench-table in front. They’re setting up more tables in the space next door (observation from this weekend).

This is the table in front of their window from Saturday.

I’m craving for Mini Kabob again :sweat_smile: Someone please save my life, I need my eggplant caviar ASAP…

8 Likes

I love their eggplant caviar!

3 Likes

lol they just posted this

6 Likes

@Ns1 Armen is my man. I sat there with my bottle of sunscreen last Saturday and he put out a giant umbrella! I should come get more eggplant caviar soon!!

1 Like
1 Like

I think you meant Esquire's Best New Restaurants in America, 2022

Pretty blown away with the shawarma, ful and the cocktail game. Lucky bar seating score while trying to visit Found Oyster. Cold by the open doors but whatever. I was getting ready to be a hater being that we grill a lot of meats but it’s impressive. Salad was a bore and i dont dig the grittiness of sumak in it and we’re big sumak people

Pumped to see 2 cognac cocktails on. And the adjika kicker is fantastic. That’s my people stuff

Strong contender for best taco type bite

13 Likes

What did you think of price-quality ratio?

Considering whose restaurant it is and all the popularity, it makes sense. It’s definitely a splurge though to have a $47 shawarma. I can’t see myself ever ordering a small skewer for whatever it costs. Sure, my skewers aren’t as good as theirs but still, great. I’m glad people are loving this place.

4 Likes

Very good restaurant. We disagree with board consensus and think Saffy’s > Bavel >> Bestia. The endive and onion salad is one of the best dishes I’ve eaten in 2023. The chef has a terrific palate or at least one that matches our tastes.

3 Likes

Respectfully, are you eating meat at these places? I know we periodically have this back and forth but if not, idk…

I don’t need to die on this hill though. I like Saffy’s, think the breads are better at Bavel. And shawarma and kebabs have been hit or miss at Saffy’s.

2 Likes

Got to get over there has it gotten easier to get reservations

1 Like

At least in winter it was fairly easy to walk in around 9:00pm weekdays.

1 Like

team saffy’s.

I don’t need any of the mains at bavel.

1 Like

In general our preference is seafood and poultry. And vegetables!

1 Like

Fair opinion I think, but the prices at Saffy’s make it a one and done for me. I don’t see any reason to go back to fork over that kinda money for that food (that is very good).

1 Like

Anyone done the arabic breakfast set here? Considering trying this weekend.

3 Likes

That Arabic breakfast looks appetizing, but I am not sure it’s worth $24 to me. I would not want to skip the bread in this case.

https://www.theinfatuation.com/los-angeles/reviews/saffys-coffee-and-tea

1 Like

saffy’s just keeps getting better and better. every time I come back I’m impressed with another new-to-me dish, this time there were several: scallops, chicken liver, iberico pork shishlik, and banana cake.

not only did this meal bat a thousand but it also went for the cycle.

@rlw power rankings forthcoming?

peruvian scallops - citrus amba, chili oil, toasted wheat, dill, cilantro, sea salt

scallops were on par and maybe even better than fishing with dynamite’s.

grilled lobster skewer - green harissa, serrano-lime yogurt, herbs

chopped chicken liver - challah, oyster mushrooms, date venegar, capers, brown butter, cardamom

the chicken liver on the challah is so good.

roasted carrots - harissa jam, meyer lemon labneh, crispy coriander & shallots, sumac, cilantro

wood-fire shawarma - lamb & beef, lettuce, tomato, sumac onions, tahini, red ajika, laffa

iberico pork shishlik - yogurt, dill, garlic, chili flake, mustard powder
lamb kebab - sweet & spicy peppers, onions, parsley, dry mint & marjoram

the iberico pork shishlik is a huge improvement to the ground pork kebab i had early on, juicy, tender and with bits of fat still attached. they now have an all-star starting line up of pork, chicken, lamb and beef skewers.

soft serve - pixie mandarin & vanilla swirl

banana cake with soft cheese frosting, baharat spiced pecan

the banana cake is my new favorite genevieve dessert, adding the pecans on top so that they’re still crisp and crunchy is brilliant.

16 Likes