September 2017 Weekend Rundown

That lamp soup is so wonderfully concentrated. I think it actually tastes better than the mash!

1 Like

Apple Pan boysenberry cream and pecan pie…

3 Likes

Beet and egg sandwich at Dune. Delicious. This is at the new Venice location, which opened today. Big nice space. Was empty (odd location), but I think in time it will get popular.

5 Likes

All that talk about Al-Watan in the other thread made me realize that I haven’t been there in a year or so.

Chicken Charga:

Seekh Kebab:

Garlic Naan:

Lamb Biriyani:

Also got the Nehari which I forgot to take a picture of.

Everything was as great as before. The naan was fluffy, chicken was moist with nice crispy skin, nehari was rich and hearty, the seekh kebabs were juicy, and the biriyani was spicy and very good (although my favorite is still Zam Zam’s).

7 Likes

Matiki Island BBQ :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Beef reeeebs plate with double mac, one scoop rice

IMG_3785

Houstons

Thai steak salad - pretty tasty

IMG_3796

Belcampo 3rd St

Double fast burger

Carnitas El Pareja (Fontana)

Tacos dorados sesos

Carnitas surtido

Torta ahogada con costilla

10 Likes

I kind of did this at home tonight…

1 Like

I’m dying to try Matiki. At Trader Sam’s every week, but it’s just been too hot to drive off-property.

In my head, I am trying to imagine how long it would take to acquire the ingredients and execute the salad. lol

If you like beef back ribs, it is definitely worth the hot drive.

Also, Tacos San Pedro next door has amazing beef flautas. :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Labor Day Weekend 2017 was a veritable cornucopia of random eating…

First: A (non-food) visit to the newly re-opened Angels Flight in DTLA:

Surprisingly authentic Köttbullar med gräddsås (Swedish meatballs with cream sauce), at Ikea Carson: The Ikea pizza was truly meh, but the Chowpup found it edible.

BBQ at home: I attempted elote at home - mixed results. The Brazilian salt rub prime bone-in ribeye turned out spectacularly, though.

Tomato ramen (extra chashu, extra noodles), tuna poke bowl, French fries, kurobuta sausages, and watermelon & mint agua fresca, at Yumeya Ramen: The tomato ramen hits the spot for lunch on a hot day.

Thrifty black cherry ice cream cone: A simple yet glorious reprieve from this hot, sticky weather.

Hey, guess what I found at the store?

Grand Marnier crêpe from Crêpes Dusigne, at Mar Vista Farmers market: So loaded with booze that I needed a Lyft home from the Farmers Market. Merci, Dusigne-sensei !! (the man is a true badass who also teaches judo)

A bucket of the Ad Hoc fried chicken, from Bouchon Bakery: Really tasty! It is on the expensive side for fried chicken, but nevertheless this bucket delivers - Delicious.

(Not pictured: Northern Cafe in Westwood Village - The cold seaweed garlic appetizer and their Beijing-style meat pies remain extremely strong on my regular rotation.)

10 Likes

I had everything for the dressing and marinade in my pantry. Getting all of the greens took about 20 minutes. Prep and assembly didn’t take more than an hour. Incorporating the steak will add some time for marinating, cooking, etc. After thinking about it, I will definitely do it again. Yes it’s time consuming, but I like spending time in the kitchen with my wife, so it’s a win/win for me.

1 Like

Friday - Tsubaki.
After it got the nice mention in the LA Mag piece, http://www.lamag.com/mag-features/best-japanese-food/ , I was hoping they would hit it out of the (Echo) Park but found it just OK. If I lived closer maybe it would get into a rotation but not worth driving by so many other great izakaya for.

Sat - Rossoblu, 3 rd visit, keeps getting better and better
Fantastic all the way around. I missed this one the first (or second) time around: MOM’S MINESTRA NEL SACCO - Parmigiano Reggiano Dumplings in a Bag, Beef and Chicken Broth. Bowl slurping greatness. Also loved - ILARIO’S GRIGLIATA House Sausage, Belly-On Pork Chop, Pork Jus. Steve is amazing with pork.

Sunday - Taste of LA: Flavors of LA evening.
Have skipped the Taste for years due to previous atrocious lines. But this year lines were not bad and the food was awesome. Highlights: Baroo (kimchee toast, summer noodles/veg), Luv2Eat (Crab Curry), Holbox (Octopus Taco), Pasta Sister (bolognese spaghetti) , Surf and Turf Burger), Tacos de Mantarraya (El Coraloense), Estrella (Beef cheek gnocchi)

5 Likes

Oh, how funny. That was my dad’s fav flavor at Thrifty’s growing up (dad is still alive, I just don’t know if he still likes the flavor).

I’ve heard that Ikea’s Swedish food is actually surprisingly good. Didn’t they used to (or perhaps still do) a lobster bake?

My own contribution to the rundown is the butternut squash + fried sage crumble w/ passionfruit froyo from Sweet Rose Creamery. Too lazy to post a photo (although I did take one). Passionfruit was pretty intensely flavored (IMHO) and held up well against the butternut squash. BTW, in case you (generic you) didn’t know, you can get a double mini (instead of regular double scoops)! Bwahahahahahaha!

3 Likes

Pliney!

Certain Ikea locations still hold the traditional crayfish bake, and some still do the Christmas smorgasbord.

1 Like

Fun weekend catching up with friends, hit all casual places where lounging comfortably for a long time in shorts and a tshirt was perfectly acceptable. That was the main criteria with this ridiculous heat wave.

Happa for Hawaiian comfort food served by sweet mama and grandma type waitresses who fuss over you.

Carney’s for the red hot chili cheese dog and chili cheese fries, eating just like a teenager

Baco Shop for the fried chicken baco and the cheddar hash browns. They now serve soft serve. Will have to go back for it. The sample taste I had was good.

Labor day bbq at a friend’s place and they got Turkey Sausages from Mama’s Chicken and Market. I was excited about this since I had been meaning to go there to try their sausages. To accompany the tasty sausages, an amazing spread of side dishes, desserts and condiments brought by everyone. Just a great way to end a holiday weekend to be surrounded by great food and friends.

Holiday weekend calories don’t count right? :wink::sushing_face:

6 Likes

FWIW, Rite Aide had a sale that might still be going on. Buy one get one free on the half gallon’s of Thrifty’s ice cream. $4.50 a half gallon. It’s strictly nostalgia ice cream for me. But at that price, might be worth picking up and surprising dad.

2 Likes

I remember being a little kid and asking for a taste of pistachio ice cream, because it sounded exotic. It is still my favorite flavor.

3 Likes

Quan Vy Da, Brookhurst and Bolsa.

The Com Ga/Chicken Rice.

Broken Rice flavored with chicken and ginger with fried garlic. Chicken is with herbs and onions. Add in some sweet fish sauce and mix everything together. Comes with chicken broth.

4 Likes

Hi @Bookwich,

Have you tried Bulgarini’s famous Pistachio Gelato yet? If not, and you love Pistachio so much, it’s worth a try. Pretty amazing. :slight_smile:

4 Likes