September 2019 Weekend Rundown

Hayato?

2 Likes

I’m so happy for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

If you haven’t already, check out Fatamorgana (Studio City and Beverly Hills). I enjoyed both their pistachio and straciatella flavors (and many others).

1 Like

Yes Hayato!

1 Like

Ong Ga Nae’s Seng Bulgogi

2 Likes

Always a crowd pleaser. Ong ga nae makes a good naengmyun too.

Meccha Matcha (Artesia)
Japanese-style parfaits are apparently hard to find here. But these guys do a pretty bang up job on top of having some really great matcha soft serve and Japanese ice cream flavors. Soft serve comes in 3 different matcha intensities…1 being basic and 3 being more matcha bitter-y, but I don’t think it’s really that intense…it’s pretty subtle. Ice cream comes in 5 levels of intensity, and the 5 is great! It’s like a pure green tea ice cream that’s not available in stores for purchase. Ice creams also come in black sesame and hojicha…and those are fantastic. They also run periodic specials like their panda green tea (green tea mixed with Oreos…for a cookies & cream feel). But it’s their parfaits that are a delight to the senses. There are 7 different flavors and textures…each keep delighting your palate…choose between intensity green tea soft serve or plain vanilla and then there’s matcha cake, azuki beans, mochi balls, crispy waffle cone bits, whipped cream, and strawberry syrup. Great for a hot day or dessert if you find yourself in this neighborhood.

4 Likes

Friday lunch at Mogumogu. A sizeable lunch crowd (and wait); kind of nice to see a place off of Sawtelle having good business. I really enjoyed the deluxe mazemen and, while it doesn’t have depth of flavor of Tsujita’s tsukemen, it also isn’t as disgustingly rich (and the vinegar packs a bigger bunch than does Tsujita’s rendition).

Chicken was tender, but crust was not crunchy.

Def a good local spot.

Dinner at The Wallace in Culver City b/f seeing Bill Irwin’s show.

The food (poached salmon salad, flatbread, octopus) was good and certainly a fair price (IMHO), but the ambiance and service are… weird. Rushed, cold, and tense. And the 3 white wines @SpockSpork tried were either kind of gross and really bland.

Not sure if it was an off night, but not really particularly interested in returning.

Show was excellent, BTW.

6 Likes

Back Home in Lahaina

Portuguese sausage, eggs and bacon fried rice, scoop of mac salad. I have ordered this many times, they gave me a boatload of bacon fried rice this time.

Photos for scale.

Haupia cheesecake

Always good.

Hakata Ikkousha Ramen - Torrance

Karaage

Wow this is chicken huge, and crunchy and juicy! Nice appetizer to start out.

Bombed with togarashi

Tonkatsu mentaiko

This was really good. The tonkatsu broth is milky and rich, the spicy cod row adds a great flavor and spice and the black garlic is just lovely adding more complexity. I would easily order this again. I added nori. Could this be my favorite Hakata style ramen as of today? More research is needed.

Coppe Japanese Bakery - Yorba Linda

Located inside Tokyo Central, this newly opened stand offers Japanese style sandwiches. I nabbed a peanut butter cream and Oreo pan to go, it was excellent! I’ll be back to try more.

10 Likes

They just wanted to make sure you didn’t leave hungry. :grin:

1 Like

Went to mini kabob this weekend still juicy as always and hit up Hail Mary for some pizza pretty solid reminiscent of a mozzarella chewy crust but not as good.

2 Likes

Blue collar heart stopping delights for me this weekend

Started off with Suntory nama draft with yaki gyoza at Yu Raku San Mateo, a restaurant that specializes in Chuka Ryori, Chinese food catering to Japanese expats

Then a bowl of niku moyashi (stir fried pork and bean sprouts) ramen with a kotteri shoyu base

Then bang bang with the new location of the known Taiwanese dessert branch Meet Fresh, tofu pudding with peanuts and red beans

Tried an off menu Cantonese stir fry rice noodle at Cafe Salina. Salted fish, eggplant, minced beef stir fried rice noodles with layers of crispy rice noodle triangles on top. Greasy hearty goodness! A little semi acidic caffeine with evaporated milk washes it down a bit easier.

9 Likes

A really good sandwich spot inside Bar Clacson in DTLA

e Stretto
351 S Broadway
Los Angeles, CA 90013

The Ill Papa

The Roast Beef with Cheese Sauce

9 Likes

El Pastorcito

5 Likes

So it keeps Bar Clacsen’s hours, 5 pm open? I didn’t see different hours or any hours on their website. Too bad, if so, because I would love to try for lunch.

according to Google maps here are their hours:

Mon-Wed 11am-7pm
Thurs-Sat 11am-11pm
Sunday 11am-4pm

I went for lunch on Sunday at around 1 pm

1 Like

Thanks!

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

4 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

4 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will not be automatically deleted in 24 hours even if flagged)

3 Likes