Sergio's 106 Seafood Underground

I was just talking about Jonathan Gold with a chef I used to work with.
We really miss that guy. Reading this article really brings back some feelings.

9 Likes

Going back in the canon to the Sergio origin story, credit absolutely MUST be given to @westsidegal for telling all of us Chowhounds to ask and make sure that (THE) Sergio was in the kitchen before ordering that snook!

10 Likes

Snook and caramelized onions…the substance dreams are made of…

2 Likes

Going legit?

https://www.instagram.com/p/C54ahWAvjBY/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

10 Likes

Too legit to quit.

4 Likes

Hopefully!

Somehow Coni’Seafood has survived and even made the Michelin guide after Sergio left. I like it more than Holbox. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

agreed. never had a subpar snook at Coni’s or any of the places Sergio cooked at, including CheKo el Rey in Long Beach.

4 Likes

My favorite snook. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Sergio is back

13 Likes

It’s packed. And Sergio is cooking. :smiley:

3 Likes

It was delish. It also took a long time to get a seat and to get the food b/c one person working there said that they didn’t expect such a huge turnout. They were literally still putting up the signs outside.

Salsa had a very herbaceous note. It paired very well w/ the tacos gobernador (which were a cheesy delight, although I’ve never loved the texture of shrimp in a taco; they had sold out of the marlin).

The shrimp themselves in the borrachos were good, but sauce was crack. SO delicious I was spooning it up to eat it on its own.

Mojarra was fried perfectly. Some might find it overly salty, but I thought the salting was quite good. The lime brightened the flavor up nicely, but it also sogged out the crust.

The ceviches are ENORMOUS. As in, I don’t really understand how a single person could eat all of that themselves.

I went to Coni Seafood so long ago (and ordered diff items) and never went to 106 Underground, so I can’t say the food compares.

The servers were seriously moving as fast as they could, and they were all very apologetic about how long things were taking (which I assume will be the case on the first day of business). Very hospitable.

If yesterday was any indication, this place is going to be super successful.

11 Likes

Go with friends. Then you can try more stuff on the menu.

2 Likes