Show us your pandemic Thanksgiving spread

turkey carcass stock, onion, celery, carrots, Scarlet Queen turnips, Tibetan barley, black beans, turnip greens

3 Likes

Can’t talk about Thanksgiving leftovers without mentioning turkey (broth) congee!

11 Likes

We recently got an Ooni pizza oven. Since it was just the two of us, we tried our hand at making pizza. Neither of us had made pizza or even bread before. The first couple were complete disasters (burnt, fell out of oven). Here’s the third one.

18 Likes

YAY!! Looks great!!

It takes a few pizzas for you to get a feel of any new device. It’s why it always helps to make lots of Pizza Dough. It ages well in the fridge over a few days and can be frozen even. You can also make it easily in a bread machine.

1 Like

Thanks, we’re learning. I was dreading the kneading process but it’s not that bad. We have a stand mixer so I’ll try that. The toughest part is launching the pizza in the oven without it sticking to the tray and ending up with half the toppings off the pizza or not burning it. Oven cooks at 900 F and takes a little over a minute.

1 Like

I am guessing you are using semolina/corn meal to help ‘launch it’. We always give it a little shake after placing it on the peel to make sure there is some movement. Then you will get a feel on how much force you need to set it on the stone, so you don’t over or under shoot.

20% sale ends tomorrow or Wednesday. I’ve been eyeing a Ooni for so long. I might actually pull the trigger.

2 Likes

I ordered one for BF for Christmas. Unfortunately it’s backordered until March. So all he’ll get under the tree on Christmas morning is a pizza paddle . . .

1 Like

If you have a KitchenAid, I hightly recommend the new model dough hook.

I am pretty sure we have it… but can you link?

There are several models for different mixer models.

1 Like

Thank you!! We have that hook and it is what we use for our weekly sandwich bread.

Do it! During the shutdown, we’ve been ordering a lot of pizzas. I was all set to buy a smoker as an alternative to smoking on my gas grill when we started looking at pizza ovens for some reason. Since we eat pizza more often than I would smoking meats, it made sense to buy the Ooni. We love it and makes for a great talking point if you have people over. We already have people wanting to come over for a pizza party. The only thing is it takes few months to arrive since the demand is so high. I had to buy an extra stuff like a propane tank, pizza trays, peels, launcher, and loads of flour. Now I’m on the hunt for a good table to put it on.

4 Likes

Final night of left overs… I had some Roji Bakery Shokupan in the freezer so with the extra gravy… it had to be done…

Moistmakers…

We didn’t do stuffing thing year (Mac and Cheese Instead) so it worked perfectly in the sandwich. taking its place.

Haven’t made it back to Epicurious Gourmet. One of their Demi Baguettes would have been PERFECT for this. But we do keep Surfas Baguettes in the freezer (We cut them up to demi size) and it worked very well. I highly recommend a crusty bread for this sandwich. The Moistmaker, the Mashed potato, the tender turkey… a soft bread would just add to squish. the crusty bread adds much needed texture and structure the sandwich.

Happy to have had such a delicious holiday after all… tomorrow… Golden Fried Rice…

14 Likes

I bought the Ooni Koda. I hope I get it before March but I can wait.

1 Like

I’m on the hunt for one, too…but I was just alerted to the fact that ooni has a 16 inch coming out in March. I may put my Christmas list on hold for a rain check.

2 Likes

I saw that as well but I’m cheap and I think the 12’ will be sufficient. If I have family over I’ll let everybody customize their own pizza.

1 Like

Here’s my experience with the 16" Koda Pro. I like the larger size because I can put the pizza just a little ways away from the fire. It is 900 degrees and cooks like that. I have burnt too many corners putting it in the middle. Now I put the pizza in the furthest corner away from the heat, which has yielded nice color to the crust without burn marks. I haven’t tried cooking steaks in a cast iron pan yet, but that’s in the future. The largest pizza I made so far was a 14" one. Each pizza we make gets better and better. I recommend starting off with regular all purpose flour first to get used to pizza dough and the oven so you don’t waste the expensive Type 00 flour by burning it or falling apart during launch or during the turns.

4 Likes

Good advice. I’ve heard new Ooni owners burn a few before they get used to the heat and using a pizza peel. I’m excited for the challenge, too bad we need to wait until March.

The wait for the oven seems like forever! I had to wait a little over 2 months and it was like Christmas when it arrived. Turning down the heat once you stick the pizza in helps so the middle can cook better without burning the crusts and also so you can get used to it. Now I turn every 10-15 seconds. You’re going to love the Ooni. No need to get takeout pizza anymore!

1 Like