South Bay Staples

Market Grill is solid, filling, I have had the Kabobs and Salmon and periodically get the smoked chicken. That combined with, the available garlic paste and pita and you can have a nice meal reminiscent of a Zankou chicken. Jon’s Deli and meat case are also great. Luckily, I live close to this market. Enjoy!

3 Likes

Market Grill is solid, filling, I have had the Kabobs and Salmon and periodically get the smoked chicken. That combined with, the available garlic paste and pita and you can have a nice meal reminiscent of a Zankou visit. Jon’s Deli and meat case are also great. Luckily, I live close to this market and go there often. Enjoy!

Hof’s Hut. Haven’t seen this place get much love. Is it the world’s greatest food? Hell no. But is it perfectly serviceable diner food served with a smile and at very reasonable prices (incredibly so given the portion sizes and post-COVID era price inflation?) Yes! I enjoy their sandwiches, stay away from their salads which are chopped iceberg with whatever else, the pot pie looks great, the pork chops I had night were nicely tender and juicy, the cornbread is surprisingly delicious. And the whole family loves their apple pie, which has a fantastic double crust and is not to sweet and just slightly tart. Honestly, any meal where I can walk away at well under $100 for a family of 4 (2 hungry teenage boys) is a win and to get a solid meal is all I can ask for!

9 Likes

My best friend used to love their spinach salad which came with a hot bacon dressing.

1 Like

Finally made it to Sweet Rice in Gardena. Thai place that focuses on porridges and soup noodles. Soup bases are flavorful, noodles are appropriately bouncy, and toppings are fair in quantity, if not plentiful. My quibble with Thai soups is they tend to have a sweet note which is not my preference, but they don’t go overboard here. More to my liking is the porridges. These are very thick and seem to be made with some broth, so its very flavorful. Here the toppings are more abundant - nice chunks of meat, half a thousand year egg, a poached egg, fried vermicelli, and some fried dough sticks to top it all off. What a filling and delightful meal! While I haven’t had the chance yet, the coconut ice cream looks great and they seem to do a healthy takeout business with the mango sticky rice. Other than that, the menu is limited so don’t go assuming a full on Thai restaurant…

5 Likes

I love the Kao Soi at Sweet rice. It’s always a top option when I really am not craving anything at a given moment. Not oddly sweet at all.

I do like theri Banana fritters though! They are indeed sweet.

3 Likes

Ooh, I haven’t tried the Kao Soi. I always get stuck on the porridge, lol. It’s so filling and soul warming…

Sweet Rice also makes a really good Crab Omelet over Rice. I usually get those 3 dishes: Khao Soi, Porridge, and Crab Omelet. I like their Thai desserts too.

Adding a picture of Matcha and Mr Universal from Kansha.

8 Likes

Ooh, need to try the Crab Omelet over Rice!

We used to hit Kansha all the time… but one day, we mentioned to the ice cream maker at our local club that she should try doing some mix-ins like cake, brownie along with more esoteric flavors. And since then, she has been cranking out these incredible flavor profiles… today was almond tart ice cream which was milk-base + almonds + raspberry puree + tart crust and a matcha green tea with white chocolate and raspberry puree. So now, we have this incredible ice cream a few minutes from home versus the 30 minute trek to Kansha!

3 Likes

Prime pizza el segundo waiting for one more inspection and then they are opening

Edit they are open!!!

4 Likes

Any resemblance to the one from Jay Fai Bangkok??? (was just watching Street Food Asia)

I wish! I still dream of eating there one day the next time I go to Bangkok (I’m Thai.) Jay Fai’s has a lot more crab on it. This one is still pretty good though.

1 Like

I can’t wait to try Prime pizza. Their pizza looks amazing.

1 Like

That Ice cream sounds amazing. Luckily I only live about 5 mins from Kansha. I usually eat a weekday lunch at Shinsengumi Yakitori and then dessert at Kansha.

2 Likes

Finally some good ass pizza in South Bay. They let you do 50/50 pizza orders now!

8 Likes

where is this?

Prime Pizza…

2 Likes

Oh duh, I literally thought Prime Pizza on the box was a generic slogan like “You’ve tried the rest, now try the best!”

Darn, so El Segundo. Was hoping it was more the Torrance / PV part of South Bay…

1 Like

Love that blurb!

Lol, it was on every pizza box from every local non-chain pizza store growing up

1 Like