Sqirl - Los Angeles

What’s kind of interesting here is that the NY team pulled the trigger on the Mario Batali allegations reporting. I figured SQIRL moldy jam would be enough to pique some kind of interest from the LA team.

5 Likes

" 6 p.m. Arrive home to my husband, a deputy district attorney in Pasadena" - Helps to marry well :wink:

Anyone else notice a PR apology template trend?

1. Fuck I’m busted. I’m so sorry thank you for pointing out my “…” improprieties. I truly was not aware I was doing anything wrong. … this is really going to mess up my daily yoga routine for the next few months
  2. I sincerely apologize. But really, sorry not sorry
  3. I’m signing up for some bogus rehab program. Bonus - I may throw a few bucks to said slighted party.
  4. I really did all this in the interest of shedding a light on this “…” abusive/fraudulent practice to the world. Cuz you’re nobody and I’m fucking famous. You can thank me for my contribution to humanity. Now press and social media trolls kindly go find someone else famous to target.

This is all going to be forgotten in 6 months. I just need to take the heat off me for now.

6 Likes

it’s really is amazing that some of biggest stories in food in the last few months have been broken by independent journalists/bloggers. Tammie Teclemariam for both Adam Rappaport/BA and Peter Meehan. And now Joe Rosanthal on Sqirl.

8 Likes

It’s a business model dilemma. Advertisers ultimately pay the bills. Case in point - Facebook

2 Likes

Eater LA has never struck me as a news outlet more of a highly polished PR and hype machine for restaurants.

They are almost always late on breaking news and appear very slow/hesitant to publish anything bad.

12 Likes

Rereading this, knowing what we know now, it sounds like Camara was brought in to be the Ghost Chef because Koslow could not possibly take on the role of Chef. Camara would do all the heavy lifting, Koslow would offer direction based on her understanding of local demand and trends. Then, as soon as it looks like the restaurant is getting of the ground, Camara is no longer involved. Was Camara signed on and compensated as a consultant for Onda? Or was there some other arrangement and the rug was pulled from under her? She sure seems bitter about the experience.

If I were an investigative reporter on this story, I would be knocking on Camara’s door.

SQIRL’s social media said that they will reopen on Wed. If I had to bet, SQIRL will never reopen. They are sitting down with employees today and buying their silence. Severance pay for NDA. I am sure they are scared of possible class action suits.

PR will be sure to note financial strains from the pandemic as the main cause while playing the victim in “cyberbullying” re: the mold, employee mistreatment, etc.

8 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. I cannot imaging SQIRL opening again. Sad for the employees, especially during the current situation.

3 Likes

I doubt it. How are people going to demonstrate that they’ve been harmed?

1 Like

Litigation is a wild, wild world. Nothing would surprise me. I’m actually surprised there haven’t been people already making complaints.

Not just customers. Employees. Re: Mold fan, unsafe working conditions, etc.

3 Likes

Agreed. I’ve seen plenty of claims involving that.

2 Likes

Absolutely. And that irks me, as well. It’s like, if we can afford your f#cking food, you don’t think we know enough to recognize how trite and perfunctory your “apologies” are? ::shudder::

2 Likes

Fond memories of my dad and grandfather.

Eating meat like ham or salami and just “cutting off the ripe parts”

1 Like

“It’s fine child, it’s penicillin! Good for you!”

3 Likes
8 Likes

For me, who only follows this industry peripherally (compared to many of the other posters here), that article was a bit of a must-read. Lots of really thought provoking content. Thanks for posting.

3 Likes

Just today I spooned some harmless mold off some Irish jigae I had for lunch. There are kinds of mold (e.g. black and smells like poison) that will cause me to toss the whole whatever, or spit out housemade charcuterie and send it back with a message for the chef.

That gave me a good laugh. I’d never have eaten at that place except a friend stood in line and saved me a seat.

Zero danger of a class action suit unless there’s someone with deep pockets that’s legally exposed to liability.

Sqirl is a limited liability corporation, so it’s highly unlikely anyone is liable for any civil suit judgment. She / they can just walk away.

Huh. No on-sale license?

It’s weird that they even have a liquor license considering that they don’t serve alcohol. Perhaps they use it for catering.

1 Like