Sqirl - Los Angeles

Genuinely scratching my head, as someone hailing from a poor third world country.

Mold on food => trash… Unless you’re starving or completely broke. Even then the mold in pics exceed levels acceptable for desperate consumption, lest in the most dire situations.

Although this incident may explain the Covid disaster in the U.S…

7 Likes

#TotoJam2020

7 Likes

The real question is how it’s possible for the jam to develop so much mold in the first place? How long do you have to leave these jam alone to have 1/2 inch of mold covering the whole surface? That in and of itself is insane.

2 Likes

The storage room temps must be warm. Can happen very quickly, within a couple hours. The stuff from the pics appear to be freaking weeks old though - dusty, covered in spores mold :grimacing::mask: :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

1 Like

That sounds a lot closer to the truth. Here’s to hoping she chooses to give more attribution & recognition to the Chefs and cooks who helped her along the way… Still gross though.

1 Like

That also begs the question of food safety aside from mold. How can Sqirl store food in an unrefrigerated room? Regular health code violations occur when food isn’t chilled down below a certain temperature within a short amount of time.

THAT much mold can’t possibly be grown within a few hours. It has to be at least days or weeks. And how can she not check her jam daily to prevent something like this from happening? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I think there is a health inspector in trouble somewhere in LA.

1 Like

The fact that they were too lazy to even throw away the molded part before digging in! Then leaving dirty utensils in the bucket to recontaminate everything.

The person who was ‘Chef’ when that happened needs to share responsibility

1 Like

Yes and no. Everyone involved should have the moral obligation to speak up or report these health code violations, but when it involves your job and how one’s livelihood might be depending on that very job, it’s quite a dilemma.

1 Like

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/voraciously/wp/2020/07/13/after-la-cafe-sqirl-sold-moldy-jam-its-owner-cited-a-mycologist-to-defend-it-but-he-doesnt-approve/

Wow. Even the WaPo is reporting on this. Still crickets from the LA Times.

7 Likes

That’s super basic cleanliness that wasn’t happening. Even if you weren’t concerned about getting someone sick with the mold.

2 Likes

that’s what I heard too from someone that formerly worked there.

who wants to bet a $1 she just desperately googled moldy jam and scrolled until she found the 2014 article to use Dr. Hickey’s good name.

8 Likes

Gosh, once someone is disingenous or lies in a way that is easily disproved (in this case about following guidance from Dr. Hickey), it seriously casts doubt on ANYTHING that they are saying after that. Especially since this is supposed to be a “come clean” beg for mercy post. Evaluating claims is part of what I do for a living and it was a terrible idea to invoke Dr. Hickey’s name if his advice wasn’t seriously considered or understood.

Sqirl IG screenshot:

Washington Post excerpt posted by @moonboy403

8 Likes

And even if they truly “scraped off” the inches thick layers of mold, imagine someone then scooping back into the same bucket (with microscopic mold spores all over the sides of that bucket), and then serving it to the customers. Were all of the helpers careful not to touch any of the sides of that bucket as they scooped up the remaining jam? :nauseated_face:

5 Likes

I guess this former American Idol producer and district attorney PR power couple will have to combine their superpowers this week to come out unscathed.

1 Like

More like how can any of the mold spores NOT fall back onto the jam below while they’re being lifted. :nauseated_face:

Jessica Koslow is also nominated as Best Chef West on James Beard this year. :sneezing_face:

7 Likes

What evidence is there the photo is real? Seems like this could be a case of a disgruntled former employee creating a fake exaggerated photo to expose (given Koslow’s admissions) a real health code violation.

Americans seem to me overly paranoid about mold, especially on foods that are made using traditional methods of preservation that predate refrigeration. (Though that does not include low-sugar jams.)

She certainly didn’t deny it when given the opportunity.

6 Likes

She effectively denied it in describing practices and health inspections that would have made just a moldy mess impossible.

Unless that photo above was of a trash container rather than a bucket of jam.

I don’t think you’re caught up on this whole situation. Jessica Koslow released a long statement admitting to the whole moldy mess…

6 Likes