Suggestion for July 4th in LA for group of 4?

Lots of places will be closed for the 4th of July. I know this because that’s my birthday and eating out on my birthday has been challenging at times.

1 Like

The Grove, go to the top of the parking structure and enjoy the views and show.

Can’t help much with the area.

Personally I’ll be happy with some Vito’s Pizza, Corned Beef at Magees, Fat Caps-Rice-Black Beans-Plantains at Pampas, Sandwich at Monsieur Marcel, Du Pars Pancakes with warm drawn butter for dessert. Oh can’t forget that Short Rib Sammy at Joans On Third with some soup.

1 Like

Could you tell me a little more about Jar?

It looks like the restaurant is going for a “retro” mid-century LA chophouse vibe. Do they pull it off without pretension or does it feel more like an investor group concept? Is the food comparable to anywhere familiar in LA or SF?

Thanks!

Storks bring babies to this world

But those babies born on 7/4 arrive in this world from

How about some of the higher end Sushi in Beverly Hills?

I haven’t actually been personally, I was just pattern-matching to what I’d heard about it and your criteria (slightly upscale ambiance, price point, location, food quality). I doubt it fits the “investor group concept” trope, here is some description.

The shopping plaza? I was thinking more along the lines of green space rather than corporate city center; maybe by an architectural home or landmark even.

I love corned beef and soul food and Du-Pars but none of that really works for this occasion.

Yeah, I figured as much. That’s why I started thinking picnic… do you know of any specialty food shops that might be useful; is the Cheese Shop in Beverly Hills worth considering?

I suppose the Polo Lounge is always a suitable backup since it’s in the BHH and is certain to be open. At the very least, it’s a fun setting. Does anyone know if the courtyard is opened in the evenings? I’ve only ever been for lunch and their Sunday afternoon jazz brunch. It’s definitely not my first choice, but it’s a decent backup.

Chi Spacca, Felix, Cut, Spago

If Wally’s in Beverly Hills is open that night, I think that’d work great for dinner. You could also try upscale Korean BBQ (presumably all Asian places will be open that evening).

Not really sure what to do about the fireworks.

Someplace like The Penthouse at the Huntley Hotel might well for dinner + staying put for fireworks, but it would be really stretching your drive time preference.

3 Likes

Ditto the suggestion for Korean Barbeque.

1 Like

Bev Hills Cheese Store is fantastic. Joans on 3rd is another great option to pick up picnic goodies.

1 Like

Chi Spacca’s a great idea if they’re open.

What’s the place that replaced Terrine? has a lovely patio.

For a picnic, maybe Jun Won Banchan.

1 Like

sounds like you want to take them to garden/terrace boxes at the hollywood bowl.

Tix are $150pp though :joy:

1 Like

Sky Bar in West Hollywood is a great place to watch fireworks, you can see them from all over the horizon.

You can eat at Roku or Church Key.

If they are open, I have heard good things about The Pointe on Beverly which is in that area. The patio is supposed to be fantastic.

Chi Spacca would be great but even if they are open its so small it is likely booked. The Pointe replaced Terrine and I think its a good choice.

Here are a couple picked primarily for the views:

Roof on Wilshire, 6317 Wilshire, LA - good views, ok food, small space atop hotel

EP + LP, 603 N. LaCienega - limited food on roof

1 Like

At least on OpenTable, Chi Spacca takes reservations only a month in advance. They have lots of tables available for the week of June 11.

Thank you all for the suggestions; I’m looking into each and will follow up shortly! It’s much appreciated!

Last question: What are your thoughts towards Madeo?

It’s been on my list of places to try for years and for whatever reason, it’s never happened yet. I’ve read some favorable comments in posts here and there… mains seem to fall in the $30-50 price range and starters seem best suited for sharing, which I like. The atmosphere looks to be dark, classic, L.A.; not what I originally emphasized, but a bonus nonetheless, in my book.

I recognize it’s an unfair comparison (North Italy vs South Italy) but strictly in terms of dexterity in the kitchen, does the food stack up to Chi Spacca, or is it not even in the same league?