Sushi Ginza Onodera - OOE Omakase

:scream:

2 Likes

It looks beautiful, but really does not seem like a lot of food for the price.

Might be worth it if the quality is good. Seeing this teaser made me want sushi tonight and I was too busy to go pick up at Kiriko, which is always reliable, so I ordered delivery from Hamasaku for $55. Yeah, it was “only” $55 for the sashimi/sushi combo omakase, but it was not good. I would rather pay more and get something good or skip it altogether.

I agree. I also had a tough meal from hamakasu. It is not good. At that price point just go with sugarfish.

I’m not a big Sugarfish fan, but yeah I would agree that I would have preferred KazuNori (of which I’m not a big fan either, but I would preferred it to Hamasaku).

Anyone have a sense of what the 3 middle items are?

Looks like kegani, lobster, and some sorta bivalve.

1 Like

Did a sushi lunch from Sasabune BH today and you can get a nice sushi meal at $50 from there. For that you get 10 nigiri and a blue crab roll. The only piece I didn’t like was cooked shrimp, which is usually a shitty piece in America anyway. Probably the best option at the $50 price point right now I think.

@Haeldaur was this togo or dine in? Did you take a picture by chance?

Left to right:

Kegani with caviar and gold flakes (but could be a type of matsuba gani based on their distributor’s offerings), though Kegani is available now.

Ebi No Karakozuke (or a variation of it), the yellow / pinkish stuff is either ebi or kimi su (vinegared egg yolk) oboro. Below is an old school legit Edomae sushi version of it by the legendary Kizushi in Ningyocho. I believe Sushi Aoki in Ginza also made this in the past as did a few other random omakase restaurants in Tokyo, but not common.

And to the right is hamaguri (Japanese hard clam, also known as White clam or Common orient clam), assuming SGO imports them directly from Japan

5 Likes

It was delivery. Sorry, no picture.

Just in case anyone thinks they can order spontaneously for pickup – like I naively just tried – you must give 24 advance notice.

1 Like

I finally got to try Sushi Ginza Onodera, via takeout, probably not the best introduction.

The first thing I have to warn everyone is that if you order make sure you print out your Tock confirmation email or have it ready on your phone. I expected that like every other place I have ordered takeout over the last four months that I could just give my name. Instead the hostess insisted on seeing my email confirmation. If like me, you receive over 100 emails a day and you ordered a few days ago, you’ll be scrolling a long time on your phone. I finally dug up the email and thought she would just be happy to peruse it to confirm that I was not an imposter sushi bandit. However, she was more like a TSA agent and kept telling me to scroll up, to scroll down and kept coming a little closer to me than I felt comfortable in the middle of a pandemic until I finally discerned she wanted the Tock confirmation number. Once I was able to find that and read it off to her, she was satisfied. So learn from my mistake if you go.

Everything was fine except the tamago which was completely not to my taste (way too sweet and the texture was not as dense as I prefer). I probably liked the uni best. There were two - both from Hokkaido – Murasaki and Bafun.

The whole experience reinforced about how much of the high end sushi experience is sitting for a leisurely meal at the bar, which follows an elaborate choreographed progression, and being handed each piece individually.

I actually thought I was ordering chirashi on Tock, but screwed up and ordered the sushi instead. Not sure whether or not I would go back and give the chirashi a try.

6 Likes

Yeah. I don’t have much interest in eating fine Japanese food outside of a restaurant. Part of it is the ceremony. Part of it is the leisurely pace – really savoring everything. Part of it may be the sushi chef making refining touches such as warming the rice to exactly the right temperature. (I remember a sushi chef in Tokyo saying he watched how fast people ate and warmed the rice more with his hand when serving to slow eaters.). Part of it is the atmosphere and appearance. Part of it is the perfect Japanese service.

1 Like

Not worth it here.

Looks like portions of the 208kg New Year bluefin from Oma Prefecture likely arriving soon to your local neighborhood outlet

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNVXRuIHoN9/

2 Likes

Good luck getting reservations. Mine as well go YOLO with post-omakase okonomi with repeats, maki’s, and a big fat futomaki for lunch tomorrow if you snag a rez

Coming soon to your local SGO…

1 Like