Sushi Note?

One of the EaterLA writers mentioned this, on one of their end of year round up pieces (which I love to read, ty @matthewkang) I’ll battle traffic for Sushi Note anyday."

I don’t recall much FTC discussion of it…

1 Like

Sushi Note was GREAT last night.
Saito San was def in the house. We sat at the bar in front of him.
Excellent shari and neta. And conversation. He’s a sweetie.
Winter Buri was out of the park. So was his Hokkaido uni.
Some excellent kitchen dishes too (warm renkon with spicy sauce).
Nice wines and beer but - as @Chowseeker1999 has pointed out - average sake choices.
Loved it.

3 Likes

Went tonight, super solid meal especially at $140pp. I don’t think this place gets enough love and Sergio wasn’t even in the house. Sounds like he only works Fri-Mon if I heard the server right.

5 Likes

Sushi note is the best qpr sushi omakase in la county. Tough to beat at $140. A, I getting ginza onodera? No. But I’m paying less than half. Also with the amount of wine they sell, they are able to keep pricing lower while sourcing better ingredients. I’d legit love it if it was my neighborhood sushi bar

Earl runs the show mostly on the days Saito isn’t in. Earl will also be manning the upcoming slightly higher end Beverly Hills location.

Disclaimer: they use astrea caviar

6 Likes

I think we all appreciate the transparency but at this point I automatically assume if there is caviar on the menu at a good restaurant in LA it’s gotta be Astrea. Hahaha. It’s great stuff.

4 Likes

Ha. For integrity purposes I try to put disclaimers when I feel the post can be skewed as overly positive.

4 Likes

I have a differing view of Sushi Note.
Even though I did appreciate Sushi Note’s proximity to my home and cool wine program, after dining with Saito-san I have concluded that I would rather go to one Kaneyoshi or Morihiro dinner than three Sushi Note dinners.

no bueno from unverified max too

I generally agree with him on truffle oil, but I quite like that scallop bite.

That’s fair. I would definitely lean on someone who goes more often than I but my only 2 real complaints and one is a matter of preference, which was the shari was a bit more colder in temperature than I like and service took a nose dive once the sommelier left the table. But we also sat in a booth so I think that always plays a roll in quality especially if you’re ordering omakase.

Personally the scallop was a highlight, if not THE highlight. I don’t remember truffle oil being on it and I normally abhor that flavor so maybe they’ve switched it up because it’s never understated.

I think Sushi note is by far my favorite semi-affordable sushi spot. I do wish I could do a nigiri omakase because I love revisiting for seasonal fish but do not need the same starters every time?

3 Likes

I feel like that’s a request that can be made once you become a semi regular at least.

can’t always do 3 hour $400 dinners.