Sushi School - Where should I begin?

Edomae Sushi by Kikuo Shimizu is the best. As title implies, it focuses on edomae.

Trevor Corson’s “The Story of Sushi”
Sasha Issenberg’s “The Sushi Economy”
these books are ok, pretty basic/simple info, but quick reads…

4 Likes

I’ll second “The Story of Sushi”. I mostly enjoyed the chapters detailing the history of sushi and its development through different styles and periods. For example, I had no idea that it began in southeast Asia as a technique to preserve fish during the dry season.

It also provides a fun snapshot of Los Angeles’s sushi scene in the 70’s, 80’s and 90s, as the restaurant it uses as its structural center is in Hermosa Beach.

3 Likes

thank you, hoping I can pick up some of these books this weekend

Kinokuniya has a great selection including edomae sushi and sushi chef (basically jiro ono’s thoughts on sushi)

SX334_BO1%2C204%2C203%2C200-1

3 Likes

Sushi School Question:

The Inn Ann @ Japan House thread brings up a nagging question I have. What is the use of plurals in the Japanese language. If you’re talking or writing about a group of “itamae” or “sushi-ya” do you put an ‘s’ at the end?

1 Like

+1 @TheCookie get this :100: :fire: :fire: :fire:

2 Likes

Okay, I’m on it!

1 Like

Drats… the US store is temporarily suspending new book orders. :smirk:

It’s also on amazon in hardback and kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B010ZZYNUM/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1590463472&sr=8-1

2 Likes

Now why didn’t I think of that?

Shari, Shari! Neta on Shari! :sushi:

Is there a right way, wrong way or your way? Some may know how it’s supposed to be prepared and I’m sure you also have preferences - rice type, loose, packed, temp, texture, mouthfeel, seasoning. Can you share yours?

The Untold Story of Sushi in America - The New York Times figured this would be a good place to share this here in case you didn’t know.

3 Likes

Wow, I missed the original post, just seeing this now. This will make a perfect Xmas gift for my husband!

1 Like

didn’t really want to create a new thread.

Is Katsuya Studio City the best in it’s class at that price range? I want seared everything and baked crab hand rolls.

3 Likes

For reasons that are unclear to me, Katsuya Encino is slightly better

1 Like

Katsuya in Northridge is better than the studio city location, food is on par with Encino location, but clientele is less “hip” than Encino and wait time is less.

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure if it’s worth creating a new thread on this, but I wanted to hear your opinions on what you think is the most “baller” sushi spot in LA currently? Thinking of ideas to book the whole restaurant/bar for my upcoming birthday in December. Kaneyoshi would be amazing, but given how hard it is to get a resy I doubt they’ll have availability to do that sort of thing. Ideally would want a meal similar to what Urasawa use to provide (which is permanently closed correct?) with ingredients like wagyu, toro, harder to find seafood from Japan, etc. Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Kaneyoshi reserves Tuesdays and Saturdays for buyouts, worth giving them a call.

not strictly sushi, but yamakase uses a lot of baller ingredients.

2 Likes

Baller in terms of pricing? Gina Onodera or Morihiro are both $400.