Tam's Noodle House (San Gabriel): A Pictorial Essay

A little dried shrimp roe would also be excellent on top!

Nerdy kids make the best Asian gangsters. SoCal PC bangs late 90’s/early 00’s could get sketch.

5 Likes

I found this place to be just okay.

bolo bao - soft but slightly dry bread with a sugary crust that disintegrates into a million pieces with the slightest of touch (aka that’s not how it should be since you lose most of the crunchy contrast against the soft bread that way) but it’s a decent rendition overall.

char siu rice rolls - forget about the fact that I’m not used to having char siu sprinkled atop the rice rolls rather than being wrapped inside. the texture of these rice rolls are much like ones at a run-of-the-mill dim sum restaurant in SGV…wet, soggy, and lacking any elasticity. I had a difficult time picking up any strands without them tearing into multiple pieces.

wonton noodle - it’s another decent version. Noodles have a very slight spring but nowhere near where it should be but it’s not common to find no springiness in wonton noodz in SGV at all in general. Broth here isn’t bad either and the sight of yellow chives, a standard protocol in terms of authenticity, is :heart::heart_eyes::heart:

the wonton here is pretty meh…skin is very overcooked. In fact, you can see the wonton spilling its guts here. :poop:

beef brisket lo mein - the best item on this day in terms of execution. Noodle have good bounce and beef brisket is nicely done albeit being a bit too lean. However, the one big problem is that there isn’t any beef brisket sauce in this lo mein as far as I could tell :grimacing:

5 Likes

Whoa that lo mein looks weaker than I recall it to be. My order was definitely ‘saucier’ than the plate you received. Hmmm…

1 Like

I was only given noodz, brisket, veg, and a side of broth :crazy_face:

Oh man, that bites.

Agree - was really average for me as well.

2 Likes

the menu has been updated and it’s now #93. more significantly, they actually lowered the price down to $12.99.

not necessarily - if you were that ethnicity and a recent immigrant and/or business owner with a cultural distrust of the police, you were likely to be targeted as prey and subject to multiple home invasion robberies (while you were home) or hit up for protection money.

in NE ohio where i was born and raised, the chinatown was so small the mayor was polish.

ping

Has anybody been to Tam’s recently?

I’m interested as well it seems like it is now a full on cha chaan teng.

Where is the best HK style wonton noodle soup?
While we are it who has the best Shanghainese style shepherds purse wontons?

Go to Zheng Dou Kee instead. Dont know who has the best wonton, Zheng Dou at least has the same quality if not better. The main reason to go to Zheng Duo is their Beef Offal. It’s off the chart good. Will post in WSGV thread soon. Min Min is run by Shanghainese, and their SJB is very good. I would assume their xiao wonton is also good.

4 Likes

Agree! I went back to Zheng Dou Kee a second time, and it was (again) fantastic.

3 Likes

Is there any affiliation to Hong Kong’s 正斗 given the name?

Hmm, don’t know. I just associate Zheng Duo to be an antiquated name for Dia Pai Dong so I took an instant liking. Looks like same organization is opening Mong Kok Dim Sum right next door. So may be there’s some money behind it.

@J_L I had similar impression too. Manager said they are from HK.

3 Likes

I doubt it, as in this case “Kee” (记 ) may mean “in the style of”. Also, the use of simplified Chinese characters in the Monterey Park location instead of traditional (Hong Kong Zheng Dou uses only traditional in all its communications) would likely connote a different business… Just my two yuan…

3 Likes

a few months ago. like everywhere, inflation hit, though the wonton mien actually got cheaper. maybe the servings got smaller.

a friend used to go in the late afternoons and order a couple of $10 specials and endless refills on the milk tea and then take home leftovers. not anymore.

1 Like