Thanksgiving in a restaurant

holbox tasting menu

4 Likes

A number of those which are open on the apps are only open for pick up (to heat at home) but not dine-in.
In addition, many of those have only prix-fixe turkey dinners when open for dine in

One time I had Thanksgiving at The Little Door on W 3rd. They had their regular dinner menu, no prix fixe or thanksgiving theme

1 Like

They all showed tables available so they shouldn’t be takeout-only. Whether they’ll have a special menu you’ll have to check. I’d call anyway to verify that they’re actually open rather than just forgot to disable reservations.

The Little Door has a Thanksgiving menu which looks not that bad but no reasonable opening (dinner at 3 pm is way too early)

1 Like

That’s the one I was also looking at - our daughter eats most things and also had tasting menus but fish is by far her least favorite protein (one bad experience when she was very young). I might have to see if I can convince her

1 Like

Not in LA but I had the best Thanksgiving meal at a restaurant in San Diego at Callie last year (there are still available seats at the bar)
https://www.exploretock.com/callie/experience/368820/thanksgiving-feast-bar?date=2022-11-n24&size=1&time=12%3A00

Tempting to visit Callie again since it’s been a while I’m away from my hood :two_hearts: This year Menu (pick 1 of each)

*let me look at last year photos and post some for references in a bit.

1 Like

We are in SD the days before we drive to LA so unlikely that we will drive down for thanksgiving dinner (but Callie was on our list of restaurants in SD)

1 Like

Do not take anyone who’s on the fence about seafood to Holbox.

2 Likes

Huge Tree Pastry

You must try Callie in San Diego, it will change your perspective for some LA spots :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed: This is my Thanksgiving meal from last year at Callie for one. (The feast at other family tables looks more fun, but chef Travis and Callie team was so kind to accept and feed my party of one that night, right at my familiar table)

The Menu ($80 from last year, $90 this year)

The chefs :sparkles: Travis is truly a genius and a sweetheart!

1. Spread and salads

AUTUMN CHICORIES
raddichio, crispy sunchokes, fuyu persimmon,
pecorino romano, honey vinaigrette (v. gf)

SWEET POTATO MUHAMMARA & PITA BREAD
pomegranate walnut dip (v. gf)

LABNEH & VEG CRUDITÉ
roasted garlic oil, urfa pepper (v. gf)

2. Pasta

PAPPARDELLE
spicy korobuta sausage ragu, wild fennel, pecorino romano (gf* I chose the non-vegan option lol)

Best house made pasta in San Diego and all around

3. Mains

*I dodged turkey to have the only fish available that night :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Perfectly done as Travis is truly a fish whisperer!

SLOW BAKED SALMON
pomegranate, pistachio, dill, preserved lemon tahina
And the best ever ORANGE-CRANBERRY SAUCE

LOCAL WAX BEANS WITH ALMONDS

TUSCAN SOURDOUGH STUFFING

TURKISH RICE PUDDING
caramelized fuyu persimmon (v, gf)

Turkey sandwich Togo for everyone’s next day brunch

The office lol

Warm people all around

Free parking in DT San Diego!!

It was a very well done and tasty Thanksgiving meal, with a lot of choices. All to be with the loveliest people in San Diego :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed: Maybe I should come down this year as well :face_with_hand_over_mouth::sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I went twice: one for happy hr ~15 yrs ago, and then an “event” dinner w/i the past 5 yrs.

Assuming the food has not changed much during that time, it is at least decent. The description of the dishes is better than the taste, but, in an absolute sense, it’s actually fairly good (although overpriced, as @hal mentions, and that was even in the pre-pandemic time).

But vs. LA cuisine, it’s very undistinguished.

But the environs and service were good and appropriate for the price. If you can’t find something that seems more tempting, I imagine it would be totally fine.

I imagine many of the Chinese places in the SGV will be open w/ their regular menu?

2 Likes

Lillies, the new place at the Culver Hotel has a Thanksgiving Menu. Anyone been there and want to provide an opinion. We have done Openaire at the Line the past couple of years. Pretty good.

PS need a place that is doing something at least riffing on a traditional Thanksgiving. Wife demands it.

We did Meat on Ocean in Santa Monica last year. Food was well executed and huge portion. Starter was a hearty clam charter, then a sizeable plate of ham or turkey with gravy, stuffing, potatoes and cranberry sauce. Dessert was a surprisingly delicious pumpkin cheesecake - perfectly spiced and light and airy, not the denser cheesecake.

This year, we are planning to do H&H Brazilian Steakhouse. Have never been, but seems to get good reviews.

the barish

2 Likes

From their Instagram feed:

That looks quite tempting- we have currently reservation for Thanksgiving at Massilia which seems to have an interesting Moroccan bend to French cuisine. (Not mentioned a lot on this board but the few times sounded promising

I would go to Bistro Na’s.

I agree traditional Thanksgiving food is no good.