The Glorious Cuisine of Taiwan: Mouth Watering Beef Noodle Soup, Handmade Dumplings, Succulent Ground Pork & Mushroom Rice and 31 Types of Great Chilled Appetizers! Cindy's Kitchen [Thoughts + Pics]

Hi @attran99,

Very nice. :slight_smile: Be sure to order a Pork & Mushroom Rice to snack on before leaving! :wink:

2 Likes

And the noodles! I love that dish, too.

1 Like

Nice @Chowseeker1999!

I wonder just how long it takes one to prepare a “wonderful selection of 31(!) different types of Chilled Stewed / Little Appetizers (Lu Wei / Hsiao Tsai).” :thinking:

P.S. That was a funny post @JeetKuneBao.

1 Like

It’s a good question. I know on 2 or 3 of the visits, they were sold out of ~3 or 4 of the Chilled Stewed / Little Appetizers (and we showed up right at lunch time). So I think the amount of effort to keep making them isn’t insignificant. :sweat_smile: You can definitely taste the care involved, and I like that they take the stance to make less of it and sell out, instead of some places making a ton of it, and selling leftovers for multiple days in a row (some of the cold plates / dishes we’ve tried at SGV restaurants taste like they were made 2 - 3 days earlier). :frowning:

Please report back if you ever make it out to Cindy’s Kitchen. :wink:

1 Like

Blech

Fail! I forgot they’re closed today (Tuesday).

Aw darn! They close on Tuesdays? Next time then. :frowning:

Was in the neighborhood and dropped by to pick up frozen dumplings and hit up their cold case for bamboo and spicy tendon. Looking forward to dinner later!

1 Like

Hi @attran99,

Nice! :slight_smile: Which flavor of their handmade dumplings did you get? I love their bamboo and tendon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I picked up the pork & leek, pork & shrimp & chive, and a package of pork & shrimp wontons. They are all delightful and at $20 for a bag of solid dumplings, a really tasty and easy dinner during the week.

2 Likes

Update (To-Go):

Cindy’s Kitchen has re-opened (after shutting down during the pandemic)! We had 1 visit right before the shutdown, and then a couple visits after they re-opened for Takeout.

As before, Cindy’s features one of the largest arrays of Lu Wei / Hsiao Tsai (Stewed / Little Dishes) in the L.A. area, usually featuring about 31(!) different varieties.

3 Item Appetizer: Cucumber Salad + Spicy Tofu + Bamboo with Mustard Greens:

The chilled Cucumbers and Garlic were crisp and refreshing as always.

But their Spicy Tofu remains a standout: A semi-firm Tofu that’s supple and with a beautiful fragrant kick from their Housemade Chili Sauce, there’s an incredible amount of flavor! :heart: (@hanhgry @attran99 and others.)

Their Bamboo Shoots with Mustard Greens results in really tender, deeply savory, lightly piquant flavors in every bite. Another wonderful Hsiao Tsai (Little Dish) selection. :heart:

Ground Pork & Mushroom Over Rice:

One of the best bites we’ve had this year: Cindy’s Kitchen’s Ground Pork & Mushroom Over Rice is simply the ultimate comfort food. Pure joy! :heart:

It’s got the perfect amount of slow Stewed Ground Pork, lean and fatty bits, slowly Stewed Mushrooms and a Sauce that tastes like someone’s wonderful Grandma spent all day making in the kitchen. Eating some of this over some Steamed Rice and you can’t help but smile. :heart: :blush: :heart:

Outstanding!

The Fried Stewed Tofu had a nice light texture to it, flavorful and a nice pairing here.

Beef Stew & Tendon Noodle Soup (with Wide Noodles):

Corner Beef Noodle Shop may have the more complex Beef Soup, but Cindy’s Kitchen has a very satisfying, well-rounded beefiness and the overall package is better, with consistently stewed, tender morsels of Beef Shank and Beef Tendon (something Corner Beef is inconsistent on).

Be sure to add some of their Housemade Pickled Vegetables as well:

A lovely Taiwanese Stewed Beef & Tendon Noodle Soup. :heart:

Another Visit (To-Go):

Cindy’s Kitchen decided to re-open for To-Go orders only.

Their freezer cases were stocked with plenty of their Handmade Dumplings (multiple flavors) and a bunch of other items.

Mustard Green & Pork Noodle Soup:

We knew that a Noodle Soup wouldn’t survive the drive back West, so we figured the only way to enjoy it was to: BYONB (Bring Your Own Noodle Bowl). :slight_smile:

Their Mustard Greens and Pork Noodle Soup is one of the best renditions we’ve had, starting with the finely chopped slivers of Pork, Bamboo and the Mustard Greens, a touch of inherent bitterness but mainly a nice vegetal salinity. :blush:

3 Item Appetizer: Spicy Tofu + Pickled Long Beans + Stewed Pork Ear with Green Onions:

The Pickled Long Beans have so much flavor to them; the care that Cindy’s Kitchen puts into each of their 31 Lu Wei / Hsiao Tsai (Stewed / Little Dishes) is commendable.

The Stewed Pork Ears with Green Onions taste fresh, lightly spiced with a nice gelatinous crunch from the cartilage.

Deep Fried Pork Intestine with Chili:

I’m not an Offal fan, but Cindy’s Kitchen makes a stellar Deep Fried Pork Intestine with Chili, which is done in the style of the Szechuan Spicy Fried Chicken and Chilies dish. There’s a pleasing crispy-crunch for each piece of the Deep Fried Pork Intestines, and the Chilies add a fiery intensity that never overwhelms. Delicious! :heart:

(Make sure you uncover this immediately to prevent steaming.)

Ground Pork & Mushroom Over Rice:

Thankfully their Ground Pork & Mushroom Over Rice was as mouth-watering delicious as always, even during the pandemic! Incredible depth of flavor, from a slow-cooked Pork & Mushroom Stew. Beautiful balance of flavors that isn’t too salty like many renditions. :heart:

(Frozen) Green Onion Pancakes (To-Go):

Cindy’s sells their own Housemade Green Onion Pancakes (in a large stack), frozen, to make at home(!). :open_mouth:

Our friend helped translate with the owner, who said that you cook this over low heat with some oil. It was our first time making this at home, so forgive the shoddy cooking! :sweat_smile:

And? Even for a first attempt at home, the Green Onion Pancake turned out super crispy and fragrant! So good! :heart: (@J_L @PorkyBelly @paranoidgarliclover @A5KOBE and others.)

(Frozen) Handmade Pork, Leek & Shrimp Dumplings:

Thanks to @attran99 for the reminder, we decided to give Cindy’s Handmade Dumplings a try (sold either Hot (To-Go), or Frozen in 50 piece sets for cooking at home). :slight_smile:

They were delicious, medium-thick Dumpling skin, lovely Pork, Leek and Shrimp flavors coming through in each bite. Definitely one of the better Dumplings in the SGV right now. :heart:

(If anyone has a recommendation for a good Chinese Black Vinegar to pair with the Dumplings please let me know. Thanks!)

Another Visit (To-Go):

They were fully stocked on all 31 different Lu Wei / Hsiao Tsai (Stewed / Little Dishes) on this latest visit. :slight_smile:

Braised Pork Foot Over Rice:

This had an incredible, long-stewed Soy Sauce-based Braising Sauce, but we were hoping by “Pork Foot” they might’ve meant the Pork Hock as well (for more meat). Instead, it’s mainly bits of meat, bone, cartilage and skin.

Preserved Vegetable with Peas and Tofu Skin:

A nice mix of Edamame, Pickled Mustard Greens and Tofu Skin, this was a great pairing with our other dishes today (and it survived the drive back to the Westside with no problem). :slight_smile:

Home Style Stir Fried Pork Intestine:

Quite spicy with Dried and Fresh Chilies, the stir frying was very good, and resulted in a very soft, fragrant, almost creamy slivers of Pork Intestine. We enjoyed the Deep Fried Pork Intestines more.

Hometown Braised Pork Belly:

Tender Stewed Pork Belly, we had a few pieces that were a still a touch too meaty (slightly chewy), but most of the dish was very tender. It’s probably the slower turnover during the pandemic, but overall a tasty dish when eaten with some Steamed Rice. :blush:

3 Item Appetizer: Shredded H/S Potatoes + Stewed Pork Ears with Green Onions + Shredded Bean Curd:

The Shredded Hot & Sour Potatoes were stunning! Slightly crisped, a light tartness that elevates the inherent starchy nature of Shredded Potatoes with a light spicy kick these were quite good. :blush:

But it’s their Shredded Bean Curd (left-most item above) that took us by surprise:

Fragrant from a good Sesame Oil, tender slivers of Bean Curd and an indescribable umami flavor coming through. So good! :heart: One of the best Hsiao Tsai (Little Dishes) we’ve had recently! :blush: (@hanhgry @JeetKuneBao @attran99 @foodshutterbug @TheCookie and others.)

During our 2 recent To-Go visits to Cindy’s Kitchen, they are still making some of the best Taiwanese versions of Ground Pork & Mushroom Over Rice, Beef Stew & Tendon Noodle Soup, Handmade Dumplings, and many more items. Don’t forget to try some of their 31 different types of Lu Wei / Hsiao Tsai (Stewed / Little Dishes), which range from good to outstanding (their Spicy Tofu, the Shredded Bean Curd, Pork Ears & Green Onions and many others).

Cindy’s Kitchen
16409 Colima Rd.
Hacienda Heights, CA 91745
Tel: (626) 961-0789

20 Likes

I’ve never heard of this place, but its quite close to me to I’m gonna have to try it now.

3 Likes

That looks straight out of Taiwan! Dying to try it, along with everything else.

2 Likes

Hi Chef @JLee,

Definitely give them a try and see what you think. It was thanks to @ipsedixit who recommended to us in the first place.

Try some of their 31 different types of Lu Wei / Hsiao Tsai (Stewed / Little Dishes), the Beef Stew & Tendon Noodle Soup (Taiwanese style) with Wide Noodles, and the Ground Pork & Mushroom Over Rice to start. :wink:

The Ground Pork & Mushroom Rice is more like a Stewed Pork Belly & Mushroom Rice (finely minced). Enjoy!

3 Likes

Thanks for the update! Drooling over here!

I did make a few trips prior to Pandemic and my experience reflects yours. Still very good. My Grandma wasn’t impressed lol

1 Like

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

Thanks. :slight_smile: Have you tried the Zha Jiang Mian (Noodles with Soybean Paste) at Cindy’s yet? So good.

2 Likes

I have! Yes it’s probably the best Taiwanese version of JJM.

1 Like

The OP is not deleted in this epic thread to reread and redrool

4 Likes

Was visiting Hsi Lai so I stopped by. Crazy how I used to go there as a teen back in the day.

Small dishes, you can get half and half.

Zha Jiang Mian. This is so freaking good. Maybe Corner Beef is better by 0.5 because they add in that housemade XO for extra umami boost. I hope I properly mixed it. Reminds me of the Taiwanese auntie owner at Dai Ho who will call you out for not mixing it right LOL.

Don’t skimp on the fillings here.

I wish this was closer to me!

5 Likes

No ice chest to bring home the goodies :smiling_face_with_tear:

Taiwanese Food #1!!!

2 Likes