Vegan burritos

Lassen’s Silver Lake. Jackfruit burrito, soyrizo burrito, and an added bonus—mango collard wrap! All well done and would order again.

Does Cafe Gratitude cook things now? Rice, beans, and tortillas sound unappetizing if they still don’t go over 118 degrees F.

y’all are really invested in exploring vegan burritos!! much respect…

2 Likes

To the best of my knowledge, the rice and beans are regularly cooked rice and beans. I like raw food a lot, but I don’t think cafe gratitude has any focus on raw food. The raw food restaurant in DTLA is wild living foods. au lac in DTLA makes a great raw burrito that I’m sure we will review soon.

When I went to Au Lac, I had:

Kale Sea salad (GF LF) $16.00

My bad. Asked, answered, forgotten.

Here it is in all its glory: the Ito Burrito from Au Lac (pictured with suggested wine pairing: a 100% carignan-based Priorat with green, herbal flavors). Completely uncooked. Dehydrated green pea tortilla, cultured beans, macadamia nut cheese, and avocado with a spicy salsa verde on the side. Truly excellent, the best burrito in Los Angeles! The menu describes it as “living food,” which I think refers not to the bacteria that continue to process the beans but rather to a “qi”-like force, perhaps in a fifth dimension beyond spacetime (see Flatland by Edwin Abbott).

3 Likes

Localita — The Calito. Simply delicious. Seitan, tater tots, guacamole, vegan cheese, hot sauce. Lacks the profundity of The Brekkie but more than compensates with immediate pleasure.

3 Likes

Urth Caffé. Breakfast burrito and huevos rancheros burrito, both with plant-based egg replacement. Urth is more directed to normal people than foodies (though we once met the owners at Urasawa). The best I can say about Urth is that it is not unpleasant. These burritos are fine. I’m not a fan of the egg replacement stuff.

1 Like

My Vegan Gold. Breakfast burrito. Good! Love the soy bacon (not tempeh-like…haven’t seen this before). Also black beans, avocado, Just Egg, and potatoes. Saving the planet one burrito at a time. I just wish the delivery driver had an EV.

2 Likes

Anyone tried the breakfast burrito at Burgerlords? Have heard good things from a vegan friend but haven’t made it there myself.

Hope to try it!

Glowing Juices (Echo Park). Breakfast burrito and black bean burrito. These are damn good! Really good ingredients. Love the black rice. Love the pieces of coconut. Among my favorites so far. So lucky to have so many great vegan options in LA! I feel a little guilty that the driver again did not have an EV and also I threw away half the burritos.

2 Likes

Wild Loving Foods. Southwestern Breakfast Burrito. One could rightly be concerned that this wrapped object deviates too far from the Platonic ideal of a burrito to be called a burrito. But the people most knowledgeable about the object called it a burrito on their menu, and for present purposes I see little reason to challenge their assessment. This burrito is good quality like every item on the menu. It is completely raw, with a dried mango tortilla outside and curried coconut, zucchini, kale, and avocado inside. It’s not my favorite menu item, but Peony likes it.

2 Likes

Erewhon. Plant-based burrito with Madras-curry flavored tofu, seitan, hash browns, avocado, and other stuff. Really good! I am lucky to live in a city with so many vegan burrito options. I used to live in Tokyo and while it is a great city and the people care about our planet I could not find a single vegan burrito.

1 Like

That Wild Loving Foods “burrito” seems a lot closer to a spring roll.

Kudos to them for not using “factory food.” If the only way to “save the planet” (i.e. not make it uninhabitable for humans) is to eat processed food, why bother?

1 Like

Sage. Breakfast Burrito

Warrior: Very soft, smooth, and elegant. People who like Mozart’s flute and harp concertos will like this. I am more of a neurotic type, but I appreciate this burrito.

Peony: I like it! Good flavor. I like that the tortilla is thin. The scrambled tofu is very tasty.

1 Like

Burrito Break. One place in the Disney-like alley of St. Vincent Court is not like the others. A modern burrito shop amidst Armenian, Persian, and Turkish restaurants. The little burritos are pretty good, a poor man’s Burritos La Palma. Here we have a soyrizo burrito and a rajas & potato burrito. Confirmed vegan.

2 Likes

I was gonna review the Sage version this weekend but my son wasn’t into a vegan brunch.

I like Sage, generally. The only things I’ll add is (1) Sage is kind of expensive. Their breakfast burrito is 19 bucks and (2) Sage has a full bar, which is sort of rare for a vegan restaurant.

It’s not relevant for a brunch thread, but we try to go to Sage during Happy Hour.

1 Like

Thanks for your post! We like Sage for brunch. (There are actually two Sages: one in Echo Park and one in Culver City. We have only been to the one in Echo Park. Last I checked the two restaurants had the same menu.)

If I had to fault Sage for one thing, it’s that their menu has too much high-carb stuff like pancakes and pizzas and deep fried stuff like “buffalo cauliflower.” My favorite vegan restaurant, hands down, is Wild Living Foods, in part because virtually everything is healthy and in part because they have a more unique cuisine. But if your son wasn’t into a vegan brunch, I think he totally would not be into Wild Living Foods!