Vegan glory

light as in not quite thai enough lol… yea it’s far from healthy… loads of sodium and fat… everything had coconut cream in it

1 Like

Hirozen isn’t Hirozen anymore – one of the chefs took it over and it’s named after him. I used to love Hirozen then it went downhill in my opinion and never returned. Not sure how it is now, I don’t live/work in the area anymore so if anyone goes please let me know. Also, I used to love vegan glory. Not sure why I stopped going there. They had this really great ginger tea i used to get when i wasn’t feeling well.

Hirozen is now Matsumoto. It is my neighborhood happy place. This is my omakase from two nights ago.

With a nice little shirako treat.

2 Likes

that looks really GOOD! glad it’s back to being awesome again :slight_smile:

Yeah because there’s no dish sauce or chicken broth lol the stuff that makes everything not vegan at standard Thai spots.

I’ll have to try both.

How much was it ?

I think it was about $100, pre tax and tip.

That’s not terrible given the number of pieces ? how many ?

at Ayara Thai they have never had a problem making food without the fish sauce.
often, if you select tofu as your protein source, they will ask about your fish sauce preferences

Hi WSG, have you had a chance to try Ayara’s pop-up at the former Chalet Edelweiss space?

i was completely unaware.
will have to check it out!!!
thanks for the heads up!

I saw this over the weekend and was curious.

Here is the site, if you haven’t already seen it: http://ayaraluk.com/ And here’s the menu.

I plan to try it fur sure, but is it just me, or do the prices seem high? For instance, the Panang curry at Ayara is $11 with choice of chicken, beef, vegetarian or tofu. At Luv2Eat it’s $9. At Ruen Pair it’s $6.95. The Ayara pop-up Panang Lamb is $24. I’m not really fussed - more of an observation. I wonder if now “pop-up” = inflated prices.

westside inflation

2 Likes

not surprised about the pricing.
their portion size seems to have been reduced over the last year or two.

thanks for the menu link.
probably won’t be trying it because it seems like they offer very few fish dishes, and what they do offer is high priced. since i don’t eat meat, this is a primary consideration for me.

also, it doesn’t help them that SERGIO is now cooking nearby with much better price: quantity ratios.
if i’m going to get anything that is called “ceviche” i’m going to get it from sergio.
the ayara whole fish is ~$40.
the sergio snook costs far less and probably is a much larger portion.

1 Like

It’s BS, dawg. I’ll be three baskets deep in bottomless fries at the Howard Hughes Center Islands if you need me.

Definitely is. When I went, it was 1kilo for ~$28, I believe.

Hard to beat Sergio’s PZ. We had it twice last week - he is the king.

1 Like

We tried it this past weekend. The general consensus was promising. Some dishes were great - go pork - as the wood-fired oven originally installed by Edelweiss adds a really nice smokey element to certain dishes.

I think the chef is the daughter of Ayara’s owner? She’s definitely 2nd gen. The prices ARE high - def feels Westside mark-up. But the quality of the food seems to (in a wee part) partially justify the mark-up.

1 Like

How about some Vegan Glory on the Vegan Glory thread?

1 Like