What Makes A Great Salsa? Salsas and Mexican Cooking

It looks it!

Well… who knew Harry’s Berries makes Salsa?Delicious ones at that!

I bought them as a consolation prize because I was late to the market and they sold-out of strawberries. I really didn’t expect much, but should’ve, as they also grow delicious tomatoes. It’s fresh, bright, but best is the perfect balance of ingredients. The “hot” can have big heat depending on the batch and the “mild” isn’t too far behind. We mow thru it and I now get it every week. Living in L.A. definitely makes one lazy about making homemade salsas! :tomato: :two_hearts:

4 Likes

hi @TheCookie,

I’ve seen their salsa every week but never thought to try it, thanks for the report it looks :heart: :blush: :heart:

btw, the gaviotas are starting to become :heart: :heart_eyes: :heart:

p.s. don’t bother with their seascape sorbets.

4 Likes

I get the Harry’s Berries Salsa then pop by Salsas Acapulco’s stand for the chips. :hearts::blush::hearts: Salsa yum!

Agree about the Sorbet. Shhh… it’s never done it for me.

1 Like

Btw i made the tomato salsa from the Sonoratown book. Just subbed out chile de árbol for pequin (because I love the flavor and heat). Very good.

3 Likes

Nice lookin’ salsas @Gr8pimpin!

1 Like

Well… they no longer do. Something about using cilantro in fresh jars of salsa raising the cost of insurance. Yep, if folks only knew what goes into running a business. I’ll miss the salsa! Delish tomatoes, bright, fresh, perfect balance of acid, heat & salt. :tomato: :two_hearts:

1 Like

Damn. But does that mean we can get the recipe?

1 Like

I know. I would love that. It’s a basic salsa but they used just the right balance of ingredients and those tomatoes!:heart:

Salsa Macha with guajillos, de arbol a dried hatch chiles and peanuts

10 Likes

Nice! :fire::two_hearts::fire:

Do you have a recipe for that looks :fire:

@hungryhungryhippos,

I deep fried garlic cloves, dried arbol, hatch and guajillo chiles and peanuts and then blended it all with oil and salt. I don’t remember how much of each, just handful of everything. As long as you don’t burn anything it’s pretty simple.

3 Likes

Awesome thx I will give it a try next time and report back

1 Like

Just made a half recipe about 1 quart. Love this recipe with carne asada

4 Likes

When shopping for salsa in a grocery store, I look for ones that have no tomatoes. Almost all American brands seem to be mostly tomato.

I like pico de gallo, but I’d make that from fresh vegetables.

Hi @aaqjr

About how many cups of salsa does your recipe yield? I’m thinking of making a paired down just for 2 people version. Thanks.

1 Like

The half recipe yields 1 Qt! It’s def a family carne asada size recipe lol.maybe a half recipe and freeze half? You could try quartering it I’ve never reduced it that far but It should work i added a bit of charred onion as well last time. Really do love this salsa with mest.

1 Like

Oh cool if it freezes… although I don’t have freezer space either lol. Maybe I’ll make half. Did you char the onions on an open flame like a stove burner or on a grill?

1 Like

I have a stove top plancha that i use from surfas years ago but lo que sea, use whatever works best for you!

1 Like