What's cookin'?

Well, damn it, I forgot that you can’t trust Saveur to have tested its recipes. Flavor was good but meat and celery were both undercooked. It’s really best to make coda alla vaccinara a day ahead.

Deboned the oxtails, chopped up the celery, and made a pasticcio with the polenta. Much better the second time around. I could have cooked at a higher temperature to crisp up the polenta more.

1 Like

That’s funny. I’m going to be fixing osso buco OVER creamy polenta.

That’s how we ate it the first time. When the oxtails were undercooked. Which is why there were enough leftovers to make a pasticcio.

1 Like

I’m going to try making ju yook ban… Never heard of the dish before a post on Mei Lin’s Instagram today.

Interesting version she makes. I don’t know the non-English name but I believe it’s the same dish mentioned here.

I also liked the discussion accompanying the making of the dish at Made with Lau. They fielded a question about stirring the pork in one direction that is definitely something my mother in law does without any particular explanation.

Red Russian kale with clarified green garlic butter, shallot, and chicken broth. Maybe the best kale I’ve ever made, cooked just to the right point, not too chewy or too soft. The flavor might have been improved by it sitting on the counter for a couple of days, wilting and being refreshed two or three times.

1 Like

Un petit aioli. In retrospect I should have pit the carrots between the potatoes and beets.

Made my hybrid frittata x okonomiyaki again since we had only four eggs. This time I used a cup of flour and a cup of liquid, next time I’ll use less. Cooked ten minutes before broiling, could maybe have gone a minute or two less.

Wise Sons rye, leftover roast lamb, piccalilli from the Haven (which has been in the pantry for at least five years since that’s how long ago it closed)

1 Like

Pickling the backlog of CSA box daikons.

2 Likes

rigatoni with red and white spring onions, cremini, tomato, Reggiano, and hot pepper

1 Like

Mussels (Bryan’s) with (Mi Tierra housemade) chorizo
IMG_1717
Embarrassed to admit I drank the remaining juice from my bowl…

8 Likes

We live in Seattle and have a favorite place on a nearby island for Penn Cove mussels. We get two pounds and bring home the ‘jus’ from cooking. I get a little cod-esque, halved grape tomatoes, herbs and cook them. Tasty!

1 Like

D’Artagnan foie gras shipped to California now comes with a warning not to resell it.

2 Likes

How did you cook it? We love toasted brioche. Also some grilled peaches when they’re in season. I’ve also grilled some champagne grapes. Had our last 1/3 lobe recently.

I haven’t price checked with them and Hudson Valley. 'Course my Seattle source doesn’t have shipping for me. Theirs comes from Canada.

I followed the instructions on the package, seared in a hot dry pan for 30 seconds a side. Amazing how much fat they throw off.

Rougie (Canadian) is also available mail-order.

1 Like

It truly is. I went down one notch from the hottest and 30 seconds, turn and then 20. Fry some eggs in the ‘jus.’

1 Like