What's cookin'?

We’ve wrapped Romaine in bacon and grilled. Thanks for the reminder.

Hi @pilgrim. Love leeks. Can you share your recipe or ingredients? Thanks.

Fake stroganoff made from leftover steak with Eduardo’s pappardelle, which I remembered as being more like fresh homemade egg noodles and less like all-dente 100% durum day pasta. I wonder if they changed the recipe or if my memory’s just fuzzy after 30 years? Pretty good for something I threw together after a day where my first meeting started at 8:00 am and my last ended at 8:30 pm.

4 Likes

“Antique beef” NY strip from Cream Co. wasn’t great. The fat was hard like connective tissue and it the flavor wasn’t very beefy, though the jus was delicious.

Ikea Rosti were very good cooked in the steak fat.

1 Like

shepherd’s pie with spring onions, green garlic, baby leeks, fennel, yellow carrots, leftover leg of lamb, Yukon Golds, garlic ghee, and Alexandre cream

5 Likes

I made a sauce with onions, mushrooms, a little lard and the jus from the Roli Roti / Costco porchetta, and sour cream, and gently reheated the loin portion of the leftover meat in it. This portion was not dry at all, maybe because it was the center part. Still have to think of something to do with the leftover belly part.

1 Like

Shrimp burgers.

1 Like

This sounds great! I’ve done Shrimp burgers where they were kinda pureed… not good eats… did you leave them whole? Did they stay together?

They specifically advised against pureeing. I hand chopped not too finely. The liquid ingredients will solidify when you refrigerate. These will definitely be on repeat.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a fine line mincing and working the protein for a patty rather than a puck. Can I ask (approximately) how small you got the shrimp bits and if you used pre-shelled ones? I’m never quite sure I get the balance right.

A little while back there was an interesting suggestion from America’s Test Kitchen that withholds and purees a small amount of shrimp finely as a binder for a shrimp burger. Given how firmly bonded finely pureed meatballs and shrimp balls can be that was an interesting idea. I believe shelled shrimp are usually pre-brined, too, which can bind a little more tightly in some circumstances.

2 Likes

These shrimp were shell-on and only maybe the length of my little finger. I cut them in half lengthwise and then in approx. 1/4" pieces.

I have a broken ankle so I only helped prep and Bob cooked them. Here’s another photo. Also I was surprised by how little (canola) oil was called for so maybe keeping them in a small amount kept them in shape. I don’t know.

5 Likes

Thanks!

Looks great!

Some I guess pretty old Zursun cannellini that I soaked for over 24 hours, then simmered for three hours in some broth made from leek and spring onion greens, at which point they were still chalky so I cooked them another half hour in the Instant Pot, after which they were finally creamy. Finished with some olive oil, fresh garlic, and Pomi. They were really good with some of the crisped-up pork belly left over from the Costco Roli Roti porchetta and a splash of Frank’s Red Hot. Also had a big bunch of Tokyo turnip greens, first of the season, with fresh garlic and olive oil. All veg from our Riverdog CSA box.

3 Likes

Penne with Cream Co. guanciale, onion, fresh garlic, Anderson Valley espelette, Pomi, Pecorino Romano, black pepper. It’s definitely peak asparagus season when I throw it it into a dish like that that’s sure to overpower it.

1 Like

Started our thinking I was making red beans and rice, but we were out of red beans, so it ended up somewhere between moros y cristianos and jambalaya. Kiolbassa, lard, spring red onion, celery, Pomi, black beans, broth made from spring onion and garlic greens, originario rice, kale.

2 Likes

I call dishes like that “kitchen sink” as everything but the kitchen sink. And it’s one of my faves.

Is that sausage the one from Costco which I believe you turned me onto quite some time ago.

“Kitchen sink” for me, I don’t even know what the end product will be when I start cooking. I just go by what’s in the fridge and improvise until it seems like a good idea to stop adding.

In this case, I set out to make red beans and rice. Except for substituting black beans and throwing in some kale because I was too lazy to finish making it a side dish, that’s exactly what I made.

1 Like

Penne rigate with a ragù made from a dry-aged “antique beef” steak NY strip that I didn’t want to grill since the other one we had was disappointing. Added some leftover asparagus. Wasn’t as good as I expected.

Leftover ragù with a fresh white onion and braising mix from Riverdog. Much better than the first time around.

halibut baked with fennel fronds and Meyer lemon

1 Like