What's cookin'?

Yes, I think that the soy sauces at Mitsuwa didn’t always have the type written in English. Maybe I’ll try the Mistuwa again and use the translate app on my phone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Totally - I think I had the same difficulty looking for Korean soup soy sauce without wheat. I’d be curious how the translation app does if you wouldn’t mind reporting back. I’ve used Google Translate for a few non-English, non-roman alphabet ingredient labels and it’s been pretty impressive. Hell, I pointed it at a Dutch tombstone in Jakarta and it did a half decent job.

1 Like

Okay, I feel really stupid. Partner told me that we were looking for black vinegar, not dark and light soy sauce. ::face palm::

2 Likes

Fatty Mart has both black and red Chinese vinegar

As well as Chinese, Japanese & Taiwanese soy sauce

2 Likes

Minestrone: stock made from some kind of bony meat, soup mix (cabbage, carrot, zucchini, celery, some kind of greens, not sure what else), fresh cannellini, leftover sausage from a restaurant. Everything from Mercato Testaccio except the sausage.

2 Likes

Found some surprisingly nice hard-stem red garlic at the farmers market, so I braised Riverdog pork shoulder with garlic and carrots, which I neglected to photograph. Made Carla Hall’s cornbread to go with it. Worked fine in an anodized pan. I think maybe I’ll get rid of all the cast iron.

First course was ditalini with tomato and parsley sauce and Reggiano.

onion, carrot, celery, corn left over from last night’s cornbread, Ortega chiles, ham, bechamel, and mild pimenton over brown rice

3 Likes

Made soup from the leftover pasta and pork from Tuesday plus more carrots and a can of kidney beans.

5 Likes

fake fried rice with sauteed cabbage and leftover cumin lamb

2 Likes

Looks delicious. Is it “fake” b/c it wasn’t made in a wok?

The rice wasn’t fried and went in last.

2 Likes

cauliflower soup with olive oil, onion, garlic, chicken broth, the juice from a can of tomatoes, a little leftover raita, sour cream, and black pepper

1 Like

leftover pork shoulder roast, onion, mushroom, carrot, chicken broth, roux

Bramata polenta

1 Like

Loosely inspired by a recipe from Carol Fields’s “Celebrating Italy” I made 25+ years ago: more leftover pork shoulder, onion, tomato, broccoli, leftover polenta, Emmenthaler, Pecorino Romano.

2 Likes

I was surprised to see that Snow’s changed the recipe on their minced clams label.

Classic old recipe:

snowsold

Inferior new recipe:

Interesting… are the can smaller? Are they trying to trick people into buying two cans. Also Garlic Powder… I’m not a hater on GP… but with clam dip. ek.

I think it’s 6.5 oz. regardless of label.

Substituting garlic powder for fresh garlic seems backwards.

1 Like

I think GP integrates more into certain dishes better like I always sprinkle GP on my burgers before grilling for that mellow alum taste. Also GP is used in a lot of those super spice mix Tik Tok videos and so it’s having a moment.

pork and kidney bean chili with polenta

1 Like

frittata with onion, radicchio, leftover Brussels sprouts, and Tomme de Savoie

3 Likes