What's cookin'?

That’s aioli in the mortar.

1 Like

I had five ounces of ground beef and half a can of coconut milk left over, so I made a sort of curry with onions, eggplant, chickpeas, Jimmy Nardello peppers, mild jalapeños, tomato paste, ginger, pilpelchuma, and garam masala. Unphotogenic but tasty.

2 Likes

A friend found some pizzoccheri in Salt Lake City, of all places, so I’m making it tonight. Comparing four recipes from authoritative Italian sites, all for about the same amount of pasta, to serve four:

• 100-500g cabbage
  • 240-700g potato
  • 75-300g butter
  • 1-6 cloves garlic
  • 60-350g Casera cheese
  • 10-100g Reggiano

And the ratios of cabbage to potato vary from 1:7 to 4:3. Must be one of those dishes where every nonna has her own recipe.

1 Like

tuna with cannellini and onion, roasted Jimmy Nardellow peppers, hummus, ratatouille, tomoato salad with feta, bread still warm from the oven

1 Like

250g pizzoccheri
275g Savoy cabbage
300g potatoes
8 oz. butter
3 cloves garlic
200g Raclette
75g Reggiano

This was good but half the butter would have been fine. Definitely could have used more cabbage.

1 Like

Due to CSA-box overload we’ve had a lot of pasta with tomato sauce or pesto lately. To change things up I made spaghetti with tomato sauce and instead of adding Reggiano I stirred in some pesto. Really good.

1 Like

keema with green peppers and potatoes–and a bit of sichuan peppercorn in the spice mix for extra earthiness and zing.

recipe here. trigger warning: ingredients are not listed in the exact order in which they show up in the preparation.

3 Likes

Looking at the tomato chutney recipe again I see that what made it hard for me to parse is that some of the instructions are in the ingredient list. What writers who are not simple-minded do is:

• 1 tbsp. cumin seed
  • 1 tbsp. mustard seed
  • 1 tbsp. fenugreek seed
  • 1/2 tsp. hing
  • 1 tbsp. fennel seed
  1. Dry-roast cumin, mustard, fenugreek, and hing together, then let cool.
  2. Grind roasted spices and fennel to a coarse powder.

Since you’re roasting it I guess you’re using compound asafoetida rather than powder?

i invite you to re-write all my recipes. we’ll make a great team!

5 Likes

Grilled skirt steak. Marinated in soy, olive oil, saba, and red wine vinegar. Two minutes per side, rest ten in foil. Perfect.

https://eatcream.co/products/british-baldies-skirt-steak

1 Like

tomato chutney, take 2. this one uses ginger, habaneros, sichuan peppercorn and raisins. an unlikely combination but it works really well. the post also addresses my criminal failure to write proper recipes.

5 Likes

Another Zuni roast chicken. As has been mentioned here TJs carrying organic, heirloom ones and this one was only 3-1/3#.

8 Likes

fritatta with onion, mushrooms, leftover cabbage, and kale
possibly the last ratatouille of the season

1 Like

With two CSA boxes, we got way behind on green beans, so … pickling a few pounds.

1 Like

Made Crème fraîche last week. Last night after some wine, my lovely bride was inspired to put some in her Kraft mac & cheese (maybe this should go in FTC Confessions or Drunk, Stoned, and Hungry). Sooo good! Unbelievable what a difference it made. It went well with Chili Peppa Chicken from Da Hawaiian. An added bonus was chicken & waffles for breakfast today. The combo of that chicken, butter, maple syrup and sriracha was magical.

5 Likes

35-oz. barley-finished bone-in ribeye

4 Likes

Nice job . You didn’t char the shit out of it . Why do people do that . Nicely browned. Bravo

Seared in its own fat, then roasted at 225° to 122°.

1 Like

The pickled green beans turned out great. Texture and flavor are very similar to cucumber half-sours.

8 Likes