What's cookin'?

I followed the instructions on the package, seared in a hot dry pan for 30 seconds a side. Amazing how much fat they throw off.

Rougie (Canadian) is also available mail-order.

1 Like

It truly is. I went down one notch from the hottest and 30 seconds, turn and then 20. Fry some eggs in the ‘jus.’

1 Like

A revelation = mint hollandaise with lamb chops. So obvious, so beyond my ken.
IMG_1775

4 Likes

Mmm. Maybe I’ll make hollandaise to go with the leg of lamb I just ordered.

I was taken aback by recent mention of “mint hollandaise” which I’d never encountered. I just added a big tablespoon of finely minced mint to light hollandaise. It was stunning.

Makes sense to me. Tarragon is minty and béarnaise is a variation on hollandaise.

Considering the old lamb and mint jelly thing (which I don’t care for) I really like that idea. Thanks.

1 Like

@catholiver It’s indeed a play on a classic. Just one i never thought of, and definitely a keeper.

1 Like

Pretty good. I’d buy it again. Not much food compared with a pizza of the same diameter since the base is pie crust rather than dough.

https://www.whitetoque.com/index.php/flammekueche-tart-flambee.html

We get things that look like that at TJs. A nice lunch for two.

This? Same dish, same weight. Slightly different ingredient list but both are distributed by companies in Secaucus, so probably the same source.

1 Like

yup that’s the one-- hard not to eat the entire thing myself…

1 Like

Bouncing off recent lamb with mint success → chops dressed with curry beurre blanc, paired equally well with baked sweet potato; mandatory greens = scorched bok choy.
Screen Shot 2022-04-02 at 4.39.31 PM
I’d serve this to anyone.

3 Likes

And where is it that you live? I could be “anyone.”

3 Likes

Continuing with the current favorite scorched greens bit → “fried” romaine with thick balsamic drizzle.
Leeks and grilled prawns.

5 Likes

We’ve wrapped Romaine in bacon and grilled. Thanks for the reminder.

Hi @pilgrim. Love leeks. Can you share your recipe or ingredients? Thanks.

Fake stroganoff made from leftover steak with Eduardo’s pappardelle, which I remembered as being more like fresh homemade egg noodles and less like all-dente 100% durum day pasta. I wonder if they changed the recipe or if my memory’s just fuzzy after 30 years? Pretty good for something I threw together after a day where my first meeting started at 8:00 am and my last ended at 8:30 pm.

4 Likes

“Antique beef” NY strip from Cream Co. wasn’t great. The fat was hard like connective tissue and it the flavor wasn’t very beefy, though the jus was delicious.

Ikea Rosti were very good cooked in the steak fat.

1 Like

shepherd’s pie with spring onions, green garlic, baby leeks, fennel, yellow carrots, leftover leg of lamb, Yukon Golds, garlic ghee, and Alexandre cream

5 Likes