What's cookin'?

Freakishly huge Meyer lemon from our tree.

5 Likes

Another variation on that Martha Stewart apricot cobbler. First of the season in our CSA box, nice and ripe.

2 Likes

FML

6 Likes

Holy shit :slight_smile: Actually we had nabes at Tahoe who lived in Alameda and they would bring us those lemons. What a treat.

Excuse my ignorance, but what IS this???

potstickers/gyoza but too literally…

2 Likes

Oh, now I can see. It was looking like some kind of flat ‘thing.’ Thanks.

So sad :frowning:

In the future try to grease the pan and spread the potstickers around a little bit to create a lubricating barrier. Also did you use a lid? Pouring water into the pan helps steam and also loosen the skins from the bottom of the pan.

3 Likes

nappa coleslaw with cilantro, fresh red onion, and jalapeños

1 Like

If memory serves, I’m making quiche for the first time in at least 43 years.

1 Like

5 Likes

We made these yet again last evening. Part of the instructions/ingredients is chopped scallions cooked in butter and then added to the burger mix. Well, I forgot to add it (we have a lousy kitchen layout so the stove is behind me when doing prep). I considered just leaving it out but then decided to cook them in that instead of the usual canola. It made them nice and crispy but not over cooked. And we’ll do it that way from now on :slight_smile:

Here’s my 'crustless quiche recipe:

Butter and bread crumbs take the place of the pie crust. (I’ve never been a fan of pie cruse, for sweet or savory dishes.

20994400_1406218816121273_688247900659010173_n

2 Likes

The crust helps hold the slices together when the filling is a soft custard.

Use low-fat milk and than add butter, that makes a lot of sense for the butter company.

I don’t remember making a soft custard. I’ve been making this for probably 20 years with all different sorts of meat and vegetables. Cook and serve, cook and freeze and reheat, cook and cut into squares and freeze (after our daughter had a baby and this made an easy one hand thing to eat.)

Traditional quiche is a soft custard. American frittata-quiche hybrids use a higher egg-to-dairy ratio.

1 Like

Well, I just gotta say that MINE looks way better than YOURS. Perhaps I just don’t like quiche :slight_smile:

You clearly don’t like real quiche as the French make it.

I don’t like substituting turkey for bacon.

1 Like

I think I pretty much said that HAHAHAHA.

I’ve made it, as I said, with all manner of ingredients including NO meat. And it gets RAVE reviews!

Clafoutis made from St. Dalfour prunes macerated in Vielle Prune. Kind of ridiculous not to use fresh fruit this time of year, but we didn’t get any in our CSA box lately.

Good though would have been a bit better if I’d taken it out of the oven a few minutes earlier. I usually make a bigger one but we had only two eggs.

2 Likes