What's on your Thanksgiving Menu?

Invited to friends house . Gorgeous view of the mountain. Im not cooking . Fabulous cooks and hostess . Bringing a bottle of Belvedere vodka . She will make her lemon drops from scratch. Im one and done . Happy Thanksgiving

4 Likes

I can’t see the Dave Arnold recipe (site is down) but I’ve always used country/hearty white for my stuffing, either Pepperidge Farm or Orowheat, Cooks Illustrated recipe. Can’t say I’ve noticed a difference between brands.

1 Like

No Jones so I went with Jimmy Dean
No Peppridge Farms out here so I went with Orowheat

Is the stuffing tasty?

2 Likes

I quite like the Cook’s Illustrated recipe. Very simple and traditional. Trick is browning chicken or turkey wings in the pan before sweating the aromatics to get that flavor/fond, then putting those wings on top of the stuffing before baking to mimic the effect of actually stuffing a bird without the salmonella and overcooked meat concerns.

https://www.foodreference.com/html/classic-bsst-807.html

2 Likes

does/has anyone cooked dressing on the stovetop rather than the oven? i cant seem to see any possible downside - can cook more consistently throughout by repeated stirring/folding through, and then crisp up at the very end in the oven… and then save oven space/time

1 Like

try this

2 Likes

Bird in the oven!

Carrots sous vide-ing!

Happy Thanksgiving!

11 Likes

Pear & Cranberry tart tatin

Pecan praline slab pie with Steens cane syrup

8 Likes

Appetizers

5 Likes

“No self respecting southern makes pumpkin pie”

6 Likes

8 Likes

Table being set . View of Mt Shasta , and the menu . Cheers

9 Likes

Started at the top now we here

9 Likes

So…a lateral move? a downward move?

2 Likes

No turkey this year:

Bossam

Sticky rice

Lumpia

7 Likes

Bird…

9 Likes

Nope.Pecan pie.

Supplements

4 Likes

It was just four of us, so we kept things simple. It was a non turkey year so we made the Zuni Mock Porchetta on an outdoor rotisserie. Check out the before and after videos here:

We rounded out the rest with Mashed sour cream and Parmesan Taters, Brown Gravy made with concentrated turkey stock we made from a turkey we made earlier in the week from a worksgiving, ginger beer glazed carrots (Aldi ginger beer is excellent!) and the new Molasses And Oatmeal Whole Wheat Rolls from ATK.

The plate!

The money shot on those rolls!

P. did most of the cooking and baking… but I made the dessert. A lemon blackberry strudel loaf using blackberries we grew in our garden.

All in all a successful meal! Looking forward to having it in our home next year with our new kitchen! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Aunt’s table. Was fun they put the hash donut joints around the bird

7 Likes