Where not to eat sushi in Los Angeles

Mako ala carte would be my choice in Little Tokyo if I was to introduce. Mako embodies omotenashi with a mix of education and history (where do you think n/naka first learned it from?) Stepping into Mako is if being transported straight to Japan.
Buy him a beer and let the good times roll (pun intended). And that Battera Sushi!

This is how we deal with our lot. The oldest is delving into rainbow rolls and starting to develop and affinity for salmon…especially the belly slices.

Ever take the kid to Garlic and Chives for the fried salmon belly?

The AsAm experience…

6 Likes

Still pumps me up to this day!

1 Like

Yeah–it’s a dicey proposition economically. But it’s very sweet too as he’s 75% doing it because he hears his parents talk about how much they love sushi and he’s sort of decided that he wants to be more sophisticated and be the kid who likes sushi. Which is at least better than being the kid who only likes chicken tenders and fries.

3 Likes

Looks like I know where I’m taking him for his birthday in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

lol so true

We made this mistake with our kids. They both love sushi and ask for it twice a week. The AYCE places near us are not good, so we don’t go there. We get sushi 1-2x a month now (down from every 10 days or so) and we’ve changed our ordering methods so we order rolls first (mostly for the kids) and get them full on those, then do a round of sushi and sashimi and they get a couple pieces of each of those. Saves us money that way! :wink:

8 Likes

Or how not to eat sushi! This is not a joke. Just shoot me! Look at Sugar Ray Leonard’s Face.

https://www.sushipopper.com/Default.html

7 Likes

Thank you for posting that. Thank you.

2 Likes

Yuck!

1 Like

Looking into this thread due to a friend asked me to join them at Tenno tonight… I’m trying to kindly say no in the most polite way possible. Where should I point them to an alternative so they can eat something similar but less bad?

*I told him I’ll get him an apology cocktail at Kato bar for dodging his sushi dinner :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

My first sushi experiences were in Tokyo and Kyoto so it kinda went downhill after that, until……. an amazing experience at Matsuhisa in Beverly Hills. Since those days (maybe 35 years ago) my standards have broadened and sushi quality in SoCal has vastly improved. Still……. when I have the opportunity to have really high quality sushi the difference is striking.

2 Likes

Just go across the street to Sushi Gen! Easy

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll send them to Sushi Gen from now on. I dodged the bad sushi spot successfully today!!

1 Like

Long wait, though.

Idk about Sushi Gen. The last time I went was pretty bad across the board.

1 Like

A lot of friends swear by Hama Sushi around the corner.
I really liked Sushi Go 55 in the mall at 3rd and Alameda.

I usually go once a week :joy: and yeah it’s not elite tier sushi, but the value is hard to beat and I still find it better than Tenno.

Shouts to Sushi Go 55 as @wanderlustre said and Sushi Enya around the corner.

1 Like