Y'all famous. LAT piece on CH vs. FTC is out

Porthos - I can kind of agree with most of what you said but I am more surprised why people here are still so negative about CH - The last paragraph Ipse wrote is an excellent summary “As they say, living well is the best sort of revenge. And we’re kind of living pretty good …”

1 Like

I believe all mobile platforms will let you block ads. Google (since ad sales are its core business) will not allow inline ad blockers in the Android app store, though they do allow the AdBlock browser (which I haven’t tried).

As I said in the LA Times article, I think a lot of people who might have gone back after the bugs were fixed felt insulted.

Personally, except for Site Feedback, I stopped posting as soon as they deleted the regional boards. I read the new architecture as the deliberate destruction of regional communities in order to increase ad revenues by making the site more like Yelp or TripAdvisor, and so far everything I’ve seen supports that judgment.

1 Like

One of the comments left on the article:

Maxwell9876
Most of the “longtime users” were cliquish, bossy, and high maintenance for Chowhound site managers, and much of the content they are so proud of is just idle chatter better suited to Facebook. They are not missed by those who are choosing to stay with Chowhound. It was time for a change.

1 Like

they might allow it, but the actual percentage of ads blocked is fairly low compared to desktops

If the “Chowhound site managers” were working hard, why would there have been cliquish and bossy users?

The few users I thought distracted from the SF board’s focus were trolls who were discreet enough about it that the moderators refused to rein them in.

1 Like

Aka marsy aka hired troll?

I’m cynical about comment sections after “deflategate”. Get ready for the onslaught of teabaggers

2 Likes

If majority of the content were mere idle chatter, how in hell was the site still pulling 7(?) mil clicks a month?

Cuz CH was FB for foodies?

4 Likes

Welcome to all who came because of the article. That was the main point, from my point of view.

8 Likes

A lot of Chowhound’s clicks were probably people who never posted anything but were just Googling for information.

Whatever anonymous sourpuss said the site was mostly idle chatter was looking at the wrong board. Some had more noise than others but many places I’ve traveled it was the most useful source of information.

5 Likes

I’m thrilled she did the article, however imperfect it was. I’ve been missing my food family and didn’t know where to go.

Now I know!

10 Likes

So glad I found this! Thanks Robert!

3 Likes

Just read that article and hadn’t known about this site prior, so thank you LATimes. The mention of LTH Forum in the article reminds me of just how good a food forum can be.

Looking forward to this community surpassing Chowhound’s utility, which shouldn’t be too hard.

2 Likes

I tried many times to reach you @Happybaker (and you as well @whatsfordinner) but without your email addresses on your Chowhound profiles it was near impossible with the moderators diligently zapping any mention of this site.

In any event, we’re all delighted you’re here.

3 Likes

Ipsedixit -

My bad. Glad you thought of me and whatsfordinner.

I’ll put my email address in this boards profile, just for luck ; )

So happy to be back with you fine folks!

1 Like

Happy baker I thought I had your email.

My bad if I didn’t spread the word.

And that ain’t no fucking joke.

Honestly, I’m just really fucking glad to have fucking found a board with fucking Kevin still allowed to fucking post–makes me LOL. DAE???

And that ain’t no fucking joke.

3 Likes

Hee!

Kevin,

Yes, you had it. But I also have yours and should have e’d you asking about where the peeps were.

But we’ve been crazy busy and, darn it, I’m human.

Yay the article and the reunion : )

How about this: Removing locality of a restaurant-based discussion site is just nonsense. If I’m searching for reviews of a restaurant in Los Angeles, getting results from Memphis and Chicago is entirely worthless. Restaurants are by their very nature local.

3 Likes