2019 Michelin Los Angeles Bib Gourmands

Anyone amused that Sqirl is on the same list with Katsu-ya?

1 Like

Here’s what one-star Korean food looks like:

https://www.instagram.com/bicena_seoul/

1 Like

Kinda weird that Rustic Canyon, Animal, Lukshon, Bavel, Bestia, Republique (at least I think they will?) will get stars but Majordomo doesn’t. I feel like they are all kind of in the same category of restaurant. Not like Michelin is adverse to giving David Chang stars either.

Maybe they’re just not cheap enough for Bib Gourmand. Doesn’t mean they’ll get stars.

Republique seems likely.

In my mind, Republique is the only restaurant on that list that clearly deserves one star, though Bavel is the most delicious of the bunch.

Based on what I had at Bavel, they’re way short of the consistency required to get a star.

Given their mediocre brunch items, can they really?

Right?!? It felt like Garlic & Chives was like throwing the community a tiny bone.

I think OC is probably going to do better (or equal) in the 1-2 star category, which is really odd for any city to have more starred restaurants than bib gourmand. That would be a tell-tale sign meaning a lack of knowlege for any area.

I can already think of 3: Marche Moderne, Taco Maria, Journeyman’s.

Also why did Irvine Chinese restaurant Meizhou Dongpo not get recognized but LA’s (in Santa Monica for God’s sake) did.

Is that the Studio City branch??

We’ll see I guess, i’m really curious what they announce.

2 orders of kaya toast (aka the cheapest item on the menu) and a glass of wine @ Cassia is $38 pre tax/tip…

An appetizer and an entree is $40 alone if you’re ordering cheaply and only consider the pre tax/tip amount.

It seems to me that Asian food (minus Japanese fine dining) seems to be at a disadvantage when judged through the lens of Michelin. No doubt insanely delicious and important food to Los Angeles and to the world, but probably not what they are looking for in the guide.

Also, I think a lot of the restaurants that are peeved about getting the bib and thus being excluded from stars are going to be breathing a bit of a sigh of relief after the full list comes out. I think there will be many more disappointed restaurants that currently think they are safe and still in contention for stars.

4 Likes

I don’t know about other Asian food, but quality Cantonese food in LA just aren’t there and shouldn’t merit any stars.

Yeah, I think Michelin fucked up by giving Cassia a Bib. Cheapest glass of wine $14 + cheapest dish kaya toast $12 leaves only enough for a vegetable side.

3 Likes

Same thing with Majordomo. How the hell can you get out of there with a 2 course meal + glass of wine for $40?! 2 bings + a glass of wine doesn’t count…

3 Likes

Michelin is really weak on Chinese. The only Chinese restaurants to get stars in the SF guide are Mr. Jiu’s and Benu (which they don’t classify as Chinese).

one star

• Mister Jiu’s

Bib Gourmand

• China Village
  • Great China
  • Lai Hong Lounge
  • M.Y. China
  • Royal Feast
  • Sichuan Home
  • wonderful
  • Yank Sing
  • Z & Y

The Plate

Some of these places are no more expensive than the Bib Gourmand ones.

• Din Tai Fung
  • Eight Tables by George Chen
  • Hong Kong Flower Lounge
  • Koi Palace
  • Sichuan Chong Qing
  • Spicy Heaven
  • Yummy Szechuan

glass white wine - $14
bing - $6
noodles - $20

that’s as close as it gets, but at least more food than Cassia…

What I meant was that, looking at the HK guide, I understand why no Cantonese place in LA come close to a star.

As for the Bib or The Plate, I haven’t been to enough of those places to understand how the list is constructed.

I’ll leave quite hungry!

Valet parking at L’antica Pizzeria da Michele costs $35. Which leaves $5 to spend. And I choose to tip the attentive server with that. (Because struggling actor.)

#tacobellhereIcome #ohyoumeantheyservefoodhere?

4 Likes