Bavel - Arts District

duck 'nduja hummus, creamy garbanzo beans, jerusalem mix spice, herbs pita
Smoother than a freshly oiled veal cutlet.

pita

oyster mushroom kebab, stinging nettle puree, sumac
The mushrooms were meaty like a soft tender abalone and i loved the charred almost crispy edges, but unfortunately, as @Chowseeker1999 reported, everything was overpowered by a lighter fluid taste as if these were grilled before they had a clean fire going.

grilled prawns, harissa marinade, cured zucchini tzatziki, fresh herbs, lime
A bit spicier than before, but still excellent.

butternut squash, feta, baharat, pepitas, fried sage, wildflower honey
If not for the feta and sage, this would have tasted exactly like a pumpkin pie. It was okay, wouldn’t order it again.

(new) almond blossom honey nougat glace, candied mandarinquat, pinenut nougatine, minted citrus salad
Highlight. My favorite out of all the desserts. The candied mint was brilliant.

5 Likes

I went last night and the butternut squash flatbread was not on the menu anymore anyway.

see or order anything new?

Not really. I was going to order the coal roasted turnip as it sounded very interesting but we didn’t have the space and cancelled it.

2 Likes

Made the reservation before the Restaurant of the Year award.

Hummus was excellent. Pitas good. Excellent value.

Mushrooms were meh. Seems like a good concept, maybe execution was off. Worse than any robata mushrooms I’ve had.

Malawach, a dish I love and order whenever I see it, was just wrong. Hard fail. Tzatziki was fabulous. Egg was meh.

WTF with the tiny servings of zhoug?

Licorice bonbon was great though would have been better not freezer-cold. A knife and fork would have been more useful than the spoon.

Oveeall, hard to understand the enthusiasm.

3 Likes

surprisingly easy to get a table reserved for 4 on a friday at a good time a month out

I went last summer and didn’t understand the enthusiasm either.

I hated that licorice bonbon (which Jonathan Gold had also raved about), so I guess I’m an outlier on that one.

I didn’t have any zhoug when I went, but zhoug is one of my favorite things in the world and I would have been really miffed with a tiny portion. Maybe you can ask for more or would that be uncouth?

I asked for more and they brought me about a teaspoon.

1 Like

How was the zhoug by the way? Did I read that it was strawberry zhoug or something crazy like that? I like my zhoug strong and spicy, not sweet, although I guess a little sweetness could be okay if properly balanced.

The zhoug with the malawach is strawberry, I think unripe. Anyway the half teaspoon I had did not seem sweet.

I didn’t enjoy it nearly as much as I enjoyed Bestia. The duck 'nduja hummus was nothing to write home about. The aged half duck was great as were the Middle Eastern cured meats. The lamb was so so. I agree that the licorice bon bon was too frozen, but I hate licorice and I loved it. Would much rather go to Bestia than return to Bavel.

I suspect the Bavel JB win comes from more than the food. They had a huge success with Bestia in an untried neighborhood. Then didn’t play it safe, and went in a completely different direction with their next project - middle eastern with an Israeli bent, no less. They cook from the heart, the food is really good and the place is a critics darling. Plus they’re natives, made their bones in L.A., and didn’t talk shit about the city… And I don’t care! Majordomo was robbed!

1 Like

Bavel didn’t win the JB award. It went to Frenchette, another safe NYC French bistro (Le Coucou, Batard won the few years before). Any of the nominees (Bavel, Majordomo, Angler, Atomix) would have been more relevant winners.

2 Likes

Oh, idk why I thought they won best new restaurant. Bavel was robbed! :blush:

1 Like

Except when it’s bad.

@Chowseeker1999

2 Likes

Thanks!

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Thanks! :slight_smile: The only worry I think is their amazing fresh-made Pita. Do they give you Pitas that are partially baked and you finish them off in the oven for piping hot? Or are they pre-made already? Otherwise, looks delicious. :slight_smile:

grilled prawns on the menu this week:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_dp1vVDTFD/

5 Likes