8eight Sushi

8eight is a new pop-up from chef ryo-san who’s offering authentic sushi boxes for pick-up in west la. what got me excited about this particular chef is his pedigree, he trained at sushi sho in tokyo for six years and sushi sho hawaii for another year before moving to la. he’s currently working at brothers sushi santa monic and doing 8eight as a side-gig while he finds a space to open up his own restaurant.

if his promising takeout offerings are any indication his forthcoming sit-down restaurant (which will feature his version of sho-style) will be one to watch out for.

saba bozushi, ankimo, torotaku

this was delicious, especially the excellently cut torotaku and ankimo with narazuke ala sushi sho.

knife work on point

edomae style barachirashi - anago, maguro zuke, salmon, tai no kobujime, ebi, ikura, sakura denbu, kanpyo

another delicious box. rice was perfectly cooked so you can discern each grain, each piece of neta was skillfully prepared using kobujime and he even makes his own sakura denbu. the soft and fluffy castella-style tamago was definitely a highlight.

brings me back to the excellent barachirashi I had in hawaii.

16 Likes

We sat with ryo San at sushi sho in Hawaii I’ll definitely have to hit this pop up up!

The rolls and the chirashi box are highly reminiscent of the to go pandemic boxes they were offering at sho Hawaii.

6 Likes

Looks just like em. They are still offering it now!

1 Like

he also does dropoffs in santa monica and pasadena.

3 Likes

Pasadena’s a little far afield–does he live there? Good news for me, anyhow!

1 Like

I think he lives on the westside

I DM’d him and he said he’s planning to drop off in Pasadena soon.

3 Likes

ryo san’s first pop-up dinner at brothers sushi santa monic was a very strong showing, with a lot of sushi sho influence, not surprising considering the sushi sho lineage. excited to see how he evolves.

highlights
kasugodai
ohagi
kegani
kinmedai, daikon oroshi
iwashi maki
hireshita chutoro
kohada
komochi yari-ika
aji
ankimo, narazuke
tamago

kasugodai cured in su-oboro (made from egg and vinegar), yuzu

ryo-san

simmered tako aged one week

kinmedai (chiba), cured in salt

kegani served with tosazu

katsuo with grated sweet onion, aoyaku (chives and ginger)

sumi ika

sakura masu kobujime

aji, aoyaku (made from chives and ginger)

komochi yari-ika

akami hirazuke

hireshita chutoro sakuzuke

kohada

ankimo with baby watermelon narazuke

tachiuo

kisu kobujime, kinome

iwashi maki, shiso, gari, chives

kinmedai, daikon oroshi

sawara kobujime

ohagi

gindara served anago style

daikon bettarazuke

:egg: :egg: :egg: :egg:

fin

14 Likes

Amazing! How’d you find out about reservations/what’d the meal run you?

Looks great with lots of promise. Nice to see a bunch of Sho classic dishes well represented. I like the idea of komochi yariika like Sushi Sho’s ika no inrouzume. Komochi yariika is such a great ingredient and has been really nice in recent months.

2 Likes

240pp next pop-up is monday. keep an eye on his ig for future dates. he may do some at brothers sushi at woodland hills too.

3 Likes

why no invite @PorkyBelly

5 Likes

i’ll trade you for a somni invite :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

what’s somni? :innocent:

6 Likes

oh damn. tell us more

2 Likes

excellent omakase pop-up from 8eight sushi inside brothers sushi santa monica. almost everything was an improvement over my first pop-up from the knife work, nigiri form, and otsumami.

highlights
madai - so much umami
kegani
kinmedai in bone broth
ankimo sho-style
shiro ebi
oma tuna
sayori
saba
kinmedai sho-style
ohagi sho-style
nodoguro
anago
tamago

hotate chawanmushi

madai, kinmedai

simmered tako

kegani, tosazu

kinki, bone broth

ankimo with baby watermelon narazuke

kasugodai, su-oboro

shiro ebi

yunoka sourced longline caught oma tuna

akami zuke

chutoro

toro

sayori

awabi

saba

kinmedai, daikon oroshi

ohagi

nodoguro

hokkaido uni

anago

:egg::egg::egg::egg:

miso

kohada

carmen roll

fin

13 Likes

Wow is that uni and kanpyo in that Carmen roll? I wanna eat my screen looking at that

1 Like

Nice that ankimo w pickled watermelon looking like sushi sho

1 Like

Shokunin is a Sho acolyte IIRC… Yoshi-san (Kaneyoshi oyakata) was also in the audience during my last 8Eight meal at Brothers SM.

1 Like

If one were to go to Brothers Sushi - which itamae is to ask for?