A better way to slice bread!

We have terrific bakeries here in Seattle but none that we prefer come sliced. Bob’s the bread slicer in the family and does a darn good job. But it’s hard to get it evening thin, especially for toast. He followed these instructions just now and it was perfect. Check it out.

PS: If this should be elsewhere feel free to move.

1 Like

I only skimmed the first part of the article (will return to read later). I have often turned bread on its side for crusty stuff b/c it feels like I have more leverage. Never thought about trying that w/ the more delicate loaves but will prob give it a go. :slight_smile:

I don’t use bread knives anymore and just use a very sharp gyuto or sujihiki.

not quite this guy’s level though, hahaha

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct1B4TPv4LC/

This is how I slice bread.

Oh, smarty pants :slight_smile:

Oh wow!

Or I just do everything wrong! Until everyone realizes I was right all along. :rofl:

2 Likes

LOL says the poster. LOL is too short.

For a crusty round loaf I cut it in half first, then put the cut side down.

A few years ago I bought a superior bread knife and since have had no problems with soft loaves getting squished.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TPA816

Wow, the price went up. I paid $22 in February 2020 and now it’s $35.

How do you cut that for a sandwich?

Have you seen the Tartine hybrid bread knife at Bernal Cutlery?

1 Like

I guess that way of slicing bread might seem strange to many people, but what I often do is likely stranger. That is I slice (or should I say “cut”) bread with a pair of long, thin scissors. I live in Japan where much of the bread is very soft “shokupan” and cutting it with a knife is nearly impossible (and serrated knives are not easily found in stores)

Usually I just buy presliced bread at the supermarket. But if I buy bread from a bakery, I have them slice it for me. But sometimes bakery bread is still hot and they refuse to slice it for me, In that case, I “cut” slices when i need them with scissors. Not ideal if I’m going to eat the bread as part of a fresh sandwich, but actually better than presliced bread if I’m going to eat it as toast or if I’m going to make grilled cheese, etc.

“Why?” you ask? Because I can get uneven edges somewhat similar to the “nooks and crannies” of an English muffin.

Beware, this method doesn’t work nearly as well for breads with harder crusts, but works fine with a baguette if I’m going to make a panini or use it for bruschetta.

3 Likes

hahaha seems nice but woof, gimmick one use knife. the gyuto I use is extremely hard steel (Nenox) and holds its edge well even if I use it on tough crusty ass loaves.

The price! I know that there are more expensive knives, but does this knife do it all? And is there an advantage to carbon steel here? Cast iron and carbon steel are kind of a PITA to maintain (IMO).

I think scissors actually make a lot of sense for super soft bread. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@paranoidgarliclover if you’re looking for your jack of all trades, one knife to rule them all, definitely do not get this. It’s just a glorified fancy ass bread knife. I never would want a serrated tip for precision work.

happy to chat with you about knives if you’re looking for a recommendation.

1 Like

Use the middle slices.

Or make it open-faced.

A slice all the way across an Acme levain loaf would be bigger than I’d want anyway.

It’s really specifically made for staff at Tartine who are cutting crusty loaves all day. So in this case the fact that it is a uni-tasker is not fault, it’s a feature.

Carbon steel is a pain in the ass to maintain but it sharpens easier and gets sharper than stainless. It’s not for everyone that’s for sure. I have a bunch of both stainless and carbon from most of the major knife sellers at one point or another.

Honestly though what is going to be best depends a lot on what kind of cutting you mostly do. I could give you recommendations but if you are in the market I would say go talk to @JBroida over at Japanese knife impheorts -he would never sell you more of a knife than you really need. Great guy, and more importantly it’s really better to handle / see the knives in person!

1 Like

When our slices are really big, we make one sandwich that we share. Or if I’m on my own, I cut one slice and make a large half sandwich.