Any intel on the Echo Park ex-Amaro/Allumette location?

I moved in down the street from Amaro (1320 Echo Park Ave) about two weeks before they seemingly closed for good. The property’s been empty since then, but it seems like renovations are underway as of a few weeks ago. Does anyone know if there’s another restaurant going in? Between this vacant building and the husk of the Whisperer across the street, the EPA/Montana intersection is feeling a little bleak.

3 Likes

I don’t know anything about that area, but welcome to FTC. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Those spots have both cycled through a ton of concepts with limited staying power - it’s been a pretty bleak intersection for the majority of the last 20 years tbh. Hope something cool goes in next. But there’s always Los Burritos!

1 Like

Heard from someone they’re reverting back to something similar to what the Halloway was.

In a past life I worked in the building across the street when it was Red Hill and it is indeed a rough intersection. Combo A, formerly Chinatown Express, is pretty reliable for steam table Chinese though.
Curious what Miles Thompson is up to nowadays.

2 Likes

Good to know, makes sense given the steep competition from the Little Caesar’s down the block haha.

Los Burritos went way down in my book when they got rid of their egg & chorizo burrito a few months ago but hey, they are reliable!

Thanks for the intel! Love Combo A, amazing people running that joint. KG Bakery down the street is also a gem.

1 Like

Agreed!

And, take that intel with a big grain of salt!

Maybe this is old news but he was cooking at Konbi for a minute, and I think they recently put up a post a saying he was moving on to start his own thing. Definitely following his next moves with interest: Konbi®️ on Instagram: "We’ve had the pleasure of being dear friends with Miles for the better part of a decade now. He’s fed us some of the most enjoyable meals we’ve ever had. He’s the guy that shows up to your popup and jumps in the kitchen to bail you out because he knows that when you say you don’t need help you actually really need it the most. He’s the guy we talk to whenever we’re curious about what’s great at the farmers market at any given time and who’s got the secret stash of crazy apples or whatever. We are so incredibly fortunate to have had Miles help lead our kitchen over the past couple of years and his influence on our restaurant will certainly be felt for years to come. Now it’s time for him to build a restaurant of his own (our lips are sealed but we promise it will be really delicious) and we couldn’t be happier for him to get his shot at making his dreams a reality. Thank you so very much for everything @milescooks!!! 🍩 🎉 🎉 🎉"

I liked Red Hill! Miss that place. Never made it to The Whisperer.

Welcome to FTC!!!

Update: https://lonelyoyster.com/

Didn’t make it this weekend but going to check it out soon! From their IG it looks like the Halloway with some nautical paint and a new menu.

We have a lot of ____ Oysters around town - Jolly, Found, Lonely - let’s see if this one can keep up.

Went to Lonely Oyster a few weeks ago, and the oysters were delicious. Unfortunately, the green salad was fine but pretty dull, the salmon crudo did not taste terribly fresh, and both the mussels and the fish & chips were oversalted to the point that we could not finish more than half.

1 Like

Yeah popped in for a pre-Bacetti oyster sampler and was underwhelmed. They need more than one dude shucking back there.