APL BBQ for lunch

We had a vet appt for both dogs at a vets very far from the house, since their nutritionist moved locations. (yes, they have a nutritionist! Not me, them! She probably wouldn’t approve of APL…) APL was around 5 minutes away from vet, so we ordered takeout from there as we were leaving. I called at around 1:30 and they only had half a slab of pork ribs left. I ordered a seriously expensive sandwich($50), half a slab of ribs, 1/4 lb of brisket and pulled pork. Ordered baked beans and spicy coleslaw. As I was ordering, someone came in and ordered the expensive sandwich. So the hostess put me on hold and made sure they had enough ingredients to make another. All this to say they clearly have very limited amounts of bbq for lunch.

They said order would be ready in 20 minutes, but it wasn’t. Husband went in and said there were only two tables seated, so they really must not have loads of lunch bbq.

Husband finally came out with bag of food and said ‘Is this $110 worth of food?’ It was brisket and pulled pork only. I said no, they gave you wrong order. He went back in and they finally got right order.

Okay, so we split the the sandwich for lunch when we got home. It was phenomenal. Was it worth $50? I make giant prime rib sandwiches with leftover standing rib roast around the holidays and never thought I could charge $50, but I would get this sandwich again. The pickles on the sandwich were so salty, they almost burned. But the flavor of the meat, combined with the way it was sliced, paper thin, was superb.

It was food coma after!

The baked beans were good, more vinegary than sweet. The coleslaw was not great, and not spicy. It had mustard, which I assume was why they called it spicy, but I would not recommend. It felt confused.

We had the half of slab of ribs, pulled pork and brisket for dinner. I think the ribs were St Louis style, lacking the riblets.

The pulled pork was very good, and husband was very happy. He’s more of a pulled pork fan than I am, and he thought it was great.

The brisket was incredibly tender, and oh so rich. I’ve never made brisket and this made me want to make it!

The pork ribs were good, but not to the level of of the sandwich, brisket or pulled pork.

Had a cucumber mezcal margarita with it all.

There was enough left for lunch the next day and it was still moist and delicious.

8 Likes

I suppose with the correct spin, $25pp for gourmet sandwich isn’t terrible if half a sandwich is enough to make you full (it looks huge)

Now I want to try it. Thx for the pics.

1 Like