April Weekend Rundown (2016)

Happy Duck House

Peking Duck…solid but lacked that duck flavor. Skin was on point though.

Thin pancakes are so hipster

Cold pork app

Duck bone soup

Filet mignon with black pepper sauce…perfect dish

Green beans that smack you in the face with garlic, really good

Steamed sea bass…it was very good. Appreciated the swift handed seasoning which really showcased the pure flavor of the fish. Execution couldn’t have been better to my tastes.

Very happy with Happy Duck House.

9 Likes

Hi @A5KOBE,

Nice report. Thanks! How’s the duck here compared with the other 2 SGV recs from our old board? Duck House and the other one on Valley?

Thanks.

Thanks!

I think the duck and duck bone soup about on par with Duck House. But the pancakes are really amazing at Happy Duck House. The chew to them was fantastic. But for me, the other dishes make Happy Duck House much better overall. I could skip the duck and be very very happy (pun intended).

Never been to the place on Valley.

1 Like

Really? Have you tried the boneless stuffed chicken and Buddha jumping over fence and fried duck bones (jowl and tongue) at Duck House?

I didn’t care for the Buddha chicken. The pepper beef is better at HDH as was the steamed fish. The pancakes are easily better. Duck and duck bone soup are equivalent. Both are just average. But my barometer is whether I would go back, and I would go back to HDH and I probably wouldn’t for DH. Both places I wouldn’t go back for the duck, but I would go back to HDH for their other dishes.

1 Like

##luv2eat
The mackerel was so holy it can walk on land

Luscious Dumpling

##Emperor Noodle
The buns were so big they could star in their own sir mix-a-lot video

##Golden Deli
The pho had so much msg it could open up a panda express #makesshitgood :panda_face:

##Connie & Ted’s
I can’t help myself I’m a shellfish person

Quenelle

Strawberry shortcake, blueberry pie

10 Likes

Hungry now.

Damn, I’m so jealous of your weekend feasts, @PorkyBelly!

1 Like

After reading all your recommendations for Tacos Tu Madre, I dropped by the Westwood location this morning and got a fish burrito because I was feeling quite hungry. The fish was flakey, copious, and fresh. However, I felt like taking a long nap afterwards since it was such a gut bomb, which was discouraging as I was staring down a pile of groceries that needed to be prepped for this week’s bibimbap. Next time I’ll order the fish as a taco instead. While it’s a trendy, Instagrammable taco joint, it’s a decent neighborhood option.

FYI - I think it’s sacrilegious to cut burritos in half. However, I just wanted to give you a clear view of the ingredients.

8 Likes

Yeah one of these threads inspired me to go to Quenelle too

5 Likes

is that the blueberry pie?

sure is. i pretty much only order blueberry pie x strawberry shortcake; I get the apple pie a la mode bar to go if they got it. it’s just too damn good, I can’t resist!

i got the blueberry pie and strawberry shortcake too, i’ll definitely be back to try some more. what did you get for a topping?

graham cracker streusel which totally brings out the pie/shortcake effect. gotta remind them to add some in the middle as well as on top, not all employees do it by default.

the streusel is slightly salty to keep everything in balance

3 Likes

Rose Cafe Venice & Superba Food+Bread Venice

6 Likes

Hi @wienermobile,

Nice! Everything looks good. How was the chicken?

I really do like their Sunday night Fried Chicken dinner $20. My only complaint is the coating is a little thick.

We had the Mackerel done as a salad with vermicelli, veggies and lots of spice - was awesome.
And those skewers are new to Luv2Eat - Moo Ping, I think it was called. Really
yummy.

Rounded out the Sunday meal with the Crab Curry, and a mixed vegetable curry.

So great.

4 Likes

After reading about it in @MaladyNelson’s great write-up last month, I went to Tempura House on Sawtelle for lunch. The little take-out only space (other than two lil chairs inside and a table outside) is completely charming and so is the lady who runs the front-of-house.

Food-wise, it was a solid lunch. It’s not the best tempura in town, but if I worked in the area, I could definitely see going there for lunches on a regular basis. The antique store owner next door said that they’re always busy too, which is good. It was nice to drive past the busy part of Sawtelle, sit outside, drink canned oolong tea and eat some tempura.

3 Likes

Thanks for your very kind words, @President_Mochi! I’m glad that you had a good experience at Sawtelle Tempura House.

It’s true that the tempura combo isn’t going to win any gastronomic awards, but it really feels like someone’s kind grandparents have prepared a meal for you. And what a deal at $7.50!

I totally agree that they’d be my go-to for their bentos if I worked in the area. I’m so happy that you gave them a try!