July 2019 Weekend Rundown

W

OG Luscious Dumplings.
Bok Choy. Potstickers. Pockets.
Potstickers, were good. Bok Choy should have asked stir fry with some garlic, instead of a shallow pool of soy sauce(why?). Pockets, I could use a little more chive kick and filling.

Anyone do OG Luscious>>>Hui Tou Xiang bang?

Best Noodle House.
Dan Dan Noodles and Cucumbers.
Nice salt and garlic kick to the cucumbers. Dan Dan is not what I typically grew up on (Taiwan style). Asked for “small spice”. It’s a solid bowl of noodles but for personal tastes, it was okay.

Hong Kong Cafe (Garvey x Garfield).HK Lemon Tea. Cocktail/Coconut/Gai Mei Bun. Free Soup.

I pierce the lemons in the tea. This was refreshing on a summer day. I absolutely love Canto soups! I think most SGV Canto Seafood houses have stopped serving this for free. Dim sum and BBQ gets all the love and attention but really most Cantos LOVE soup. The coconut bun came HOT and tasty. I am a coconut whore though.

There are a lot of delicious Chinese buns. Pineapple buns. BBQ Pork buns. Red bean buns. Chicken buns. Don’t sleep on some coconut buns.

Fun fact: Gai Mei=Cocktail, literally

6 Likes

Okay, good. I think you hit the hammer on the head. It’s good for this side of town. As long as folks temper their expectations it is a really good place to enjoy traditional dim sum? I hope they survive because we have so few places in this ‘hood.

1 Like

Yah, it looks really good.

1 Like

That Steamed Wagyu and Veg! I gotta try that! I need to try other things besides the beef bowls at Wadatsumi. (Still haven’t tried Red Rock speaking of beef bowls)

How do you like Dai Ho’s beef noodle soup vs Corner Beef Noodle House?

A little more filling would have made it perfect!!

1 Like

Tried and failed.

Had to come back the following week to complete the bang. Worth it for those steamed dumplings.

1 Like

Definitely try that steamed beef. I enjoyed it more than the roast beef.

I like the broth at Corner Beef and they have that amazing house pickled condiment stuff. Dai Ho North used to be a bit better for my tastes, the broth is much spicier than Corner although not killer hot, the beef and veggie at Dai Ho is more to what I enjoy. Noodles goes to Corner Beef. It think 4 years ago Dai Ho was my favorite, now I think Corner Noodle slightly edges although I haven’t been in a year or two.

1 Like

Me too. I always wishfully think what if Newport had somehow hired some dim sum chefs and done a decent dim sum along with their amazing signature lobster that place woulda been :fire:

1 Like

Howlin Ray’s line at 10:07AM…7 mins after opening

Probably 3.5 hours…

3 Likes

Yep.

They’re going to need 10 locations for the wait-times to be reasonable at any single location.

2 Likes

Yah. Although to be fair, it is Summer, prime brunch/lunch hour, school is out everywhere, vacation time, and it’s Saturday the busiest day for the restaurant anyways (and day most people can go the easiest). :wink:

Yesterday (Friday), around 3:00 p.m. the wait was only 30 minutes.

2 Likes

Too much work for me to manage and manipulate when I’m hungry and what I may crave at any one time. LOL! I am weak :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The first time we had HR it was the same situation except a Saturday. A. was on the freeway heading home and decided to detour. It was about a half hour before closing and the parking attendant said ‘It’s too late. You won’t get any chicken.’ He was back in the parking lot with batches of hot, crispy, chicken goodness in about 30 minutes.

1 Like

Cafe du Croissants inside Tokyo Central (Gardena)

Went on a jaunt with my friend for brunch at Fukagawa. How can you say no to a lunch set with grilled mackerel, house made soba, miso, rice, pickles, and California roll…with a side order of dashimaki, lunch becomes brunch. We then hit up the other Tokyo Central close to the end of the 91, where my friend found Mentai Butter Sticks…a brioche breadstick, slit open and spread with a mentaiko mayo and nori flakes and tossed back into the oven for a few minutes more to set the mayo. She hadn’t had one since she last lived in Japan 5 years ago. It was quite the savory snack. Also picked up a cone made with their croissant dough and filled with a lovely vanilla bean pastry cream…the cone still retained a nice crispness making you feel it hadn’t been sitting out long. For $2, it was a steal…and gives the cream puffs I love a run for their money. I don’t believe they use French butter so I didn’t bother trying the plain butter croissant.

4 Likes

First time at Spoon by H. Off menu spicy cold noodle dish. It won me over. Ill be back to try more.

3 Likes

My favorite thing there is the "scone’ with cheese and edamame. They have quite a few savory pastries that sadly not everyone does.

Also, the rice ball place inside Tokyo Central is SO GOOD. Especially their grilled rice balls.

1 Like

I was eyeing that edamame and cheese scone…thanks for the rec, @Dommy! Since we had already made purchases at the other Tokyo Central by Fukagawa, we didn’t walk through the store…just dropped by the food court for pastries and left. I’ll make note of it next time.

I really like the bonito shoyu ramen at Ippudo. The broth is delicate and flavorful, and the skinny noodles at medium texture are chewy and firm.

Cucumbers.

These were incredibly good. I was wiping the plate with my finger to try to figure out the flavors. (I made sure no one was watching.) Sesame, shoyu, and… ? My new favorite cucumbers.

My friend had the classic ramen. I tasted the broth and found it bland. He finished the whole bowl, so he seemed to like it.

And of course I had an icy cold Sapporo. Cheers, @J_L and Samurai Gourmet!

6 Likes

Kanpai!!!

4 Likes

Beef tempura and Seared wagyu (non pedigree) with uni at Kemuri Japanese Barú (Redwood City)

Killer combo of Super Tuscan Tignanello 2011 x Denver strip with peperonata, crispy eggplant, wild arugula, grilled scallions at Pausa Italian in San Mateo

Baked pork chop rice with extra red sauce at Cafe Salina in Millbrae

The previous craftman retired and went back to Japan, #2 chef has been around a while but crafting, draping, shari, shari temperature and texture are not my style, however one of few places that has up to four hikarimono selections and overall very solid neta quality: kohada, iwashi, Saba. Gintei, San Bruno

Gintei has a sake sommelier there. New sake added to the menu and these are efffin splendid.
Blue label: Mutsu Hassen Isaribi Tokubetsu Junmai (Aomori prefecture). Lightly sweet but lots of Umami, finishing dry but clean.

Red label: Mutusu Okotoyama Cho Kara Junmai (Aomori prefecture). Excellent astringency and has a nice rippling effect with right amount of acidity. Super dry but a wonderful fairly clean finish that lingers a little.

Both are great with sushi, someone just needs to champion your favorite SoCal restaurants to carry them. If you enjoy Denshu, Mutsu Hassen and Mutsu Otokoyama will be right up your alley.

8 Likes