April Weekend Rundown (2016)

Elite calls it the “deep fried stuff meat dumpling”, also know as gluten puffs or glutinous pillows at othe places. It’s basically a deep fried mochi dumpling #fullgluten

“So impressive!!!” I don’t know - ask the young folks!

1 Like

Where did you get your raw product for that? Is that just a standing rib roast you threw in the smoker? Color/bark looks amazing and that Chinese roast pork style slicing seems like a great way to eat the short rib meat, compared to using a fork and tearing at it.

fork? I’ve never heard such crazy talk.

@PorkyBelly,

Nice! I’m guessing the Potato and Pea Salad at Gjusta was made with fresh English Peas? How was it? (I’m so regretting not stopping by today LOL).

SuperKing had choice short ribs on sale last week for $3.99 so I had to grab them. I just asked the butcher for the biggest slab of uncut ones they have in the back. I think I got two slabs for $40 which is a steal. Any market that sells short ribs usually can do this. Here is a picture of the short ribs post trimming. Scale is an 1/8 baking sheet they are laying in. I wish they had longer ones but I’ll take what I can get at that price.

1 Like

What did that taste like, what’s on top? It looks kind of cake-y.

Honestly, it was odd. The exterior cake itself was tasty, but they literally put a whole mochi inside and some blood orange on top. Picture a mochi encased with cake, baked with blood orange on top. It had too much mochi which sort of watered down the flavor of the rest of the dessert.

2 Likes

It was tasty, nothing mind blowing though. But there was a pea salad that sold out right before my number was called that an employee rec’d. I am thinking that was a winner. Maybe be on the lookout for that one.

I tried that mochi thing a couple months back - I think I posted on it - and had the same impression as you. Not my bag.

1 Like

Went to Gjusta and had the prime rib sandwich. Honestly one of the great sandwiches I’ve ever had–simple and brilliant. Then scarfed down a slice of banana carmel pie for dessert. Love Gjusta.

3 Likes

They sell a $48 short rib at Odys and Penelope. It never occurred to me to cut off the short rib and then slice, so instead I went at it work a fork.

I gotta buy me a smoker

Hey chowseeker, thanks for the mention…i do prefer thin crust but sausage “chunks” so am a fan of DeSano, for sure!
those phoos will do nothing for my diet!

oh Jesus!

Gulfstream (Newport Beach)
It’s worth it to come just for their herbed biscuits alone. Buttery, so flaky that you see a hundred layers…it was too dark to take a good picture. It comes with more butter and honey. I just added butter, but my husband used honey. It was worth all my trips to the gym this week…I happily shoved two butter-slathered biscuits in my mouth without any reservation.
The drinks were okay here…my Dark and Stormy was more rum and less ginger beer. They did have a delightful cab from Napa that I enjoyed (Mi Sueño)…it’s full-bodied with notes of dark fruit and is unfiltered.

4 Likes

I’m being stymied by an updating iPhone right now, so no pics until later tongiht… Argh.

Was randomly starving about 40 min ago, so I decided to hit the falafal shack on Westwood Blvd. just south of SaMo Blvd (across the street from Zuma Grill, which for whatever reason I thought was in the Village)… Except it’s not there anymore. It’s been replaced by “Tacos Tu Madre.” Prices didn’t seem bad, so why not?

I’ll leave it to our resident taco experts (@Chowseeker1999 and @theoffalo) to render a more educated opinion, but, IMHO, holy sh*t, these tacos are GOOD. Had the lamb birria and chorizo and egg tacos ($6.75 total). Egg was perfectly fried and runny and the chorizo was really well seasoned. Could’ve used more chorizo only b/c it was so yummy (although it’s so strongly flavored that it might’ve overwhelmed the taco). Lamb birria wasn’t as oily or strongly flavored as I’ve had b/f, but it was wonderfully tender. The aioli and guac (which come standard) weren’t needed; either one would’ve been fine, but all three together (lamb + aioli + guac) was a bit too busy.

Hours are incredible (9AM-12AM all days except Fri and Sat [when I think they said they were open until 3AM!] and Sun [closes at 10PM]). Wouldn’t hesitate to visit again.

Edit: pics added.

6 Likes

Partner loves good biscuits. May have to pay a visit (hopefully the Century City location is just as good).

I like Tacos Tu Madre. Not cheap, but not expensive, and quite decent.

https://www.instagram.com/p/9zdU26g-u3/

https://www.instagram.com/p/9zjfUWA-pp/

2 Likes

Pono Burger Santa Monica

2 Likes