April Weekend Rundown (2016)

Yes, that’s a good summary. :slight_smile: And, if you live in the area, the hrs can’t be beat when you get the midnight munchies!

They opened a second location in Los Feliz too.

So I finally went to Trieu Chau, if you waltz in at like 4:40 you can just it down and have more noodles than the noodle bath woman dreamt of in Patch Adam’s in front of you within 5 minutes.

Porthos mentioned the old guys get it dry with soup on the side, and if there’s one thing I’ve learned it’s that I tend to enjoy my various cuisine types the way that the old guys like it, so that sounded pretty fun to me.

Small white rice noodles + large yellow egg noodles + wontons. A lot of noodles. I would just get the large yellow egg next time as they are particularly special in texture, and felt like something I couldn’t really get anywhere else but the mixture of noodles was a lovely novelty for what it was, I couldn’t say anything bad about it.

The amount of stuff in the massive bowl of noodles is mind-boggling. I guess they are already famous.

The famous broth is like a licorice-y ultra concentrated chicken broth kind of thing, pretty unusual in a kind of approachably funky way.

I think the only down hit was I bit into some like licorice seeds or something at the bottom of my noodles that zapped my palate to hell.

I have no idea how the hell this many noodles, plus a fucking drumstick of tasty duck, delectable cha and fish balls, succulent short rib, chicken, shrimp, ground pork, liver patties, succulent wontons, all the peanuts, jalapenos & vinegar, chile oil sauce, and virtually anything you could want cost only $9.75… I tipped them $3.25 on it and felt like I should’ve tipped more. It kind of feels like maybe I’m supporting some kind of money-laundering front paying only $9.75 tax included for a bowl of food this large and this varied…

Personally, I would pay 2x the price if they would upgrade a few ingredients like shrimp, add more of them, maybe some clams or something, and add a bit more ground pork for a little better ground pork to noodle ratio… but then again I had double the noodles lol I don’t know… I find the Langer’s comparison kind of funny because whenever I’ve walked out of Langer’s after spending like $30 on a sandwich I usually feel completely the opposite of how I felt walking out of Trieu Chau.

Better shot of both types of noodles:

I forgot to order one before they closed at Trieu Chau and really wanted a cafe su da I realized… I looked up an old CH thread saying Gala Bakery did the best one. This is COMPLETELY FALSE. Holy shit this stuff sucks… I am not sure I’ve ever had a vietnamese iced coffee so bad. Like shitty folgers + coffee mate… but almost worse… wow. Even though I felt I just got the best bargain of my life at Trieu Chau I am still upset about wasting $3 on something this bad…god damn…

I drove over to Ngu Binh, who makes the best cafe su da I’ve ever had personally, super thick, very caramel-y, and just way more intense flavor and texture-wise than I have ever had it anywhere else. Look how much more beautiful it is in color than the shitty white of the Gala one:

4 Likes

Sweet! Thanks for the 411. :slight_smile: Will have to try.

Glad you liked the place. Like you said, maybe one of the best deals in town. Prices used to be $1 cheaper about 1-2 years ago.

Fried garlic. Also some salted pickled mustard leaf bits in the soup version.

Trieu Chau is the anti hipster establishment. Any and all modifications welcome. You want extra ground pork, ask for it. The language barrier is the only thing that can hold you back. Extra noodles? No problem. Try asking for half the noodles because you’re trying to be good? Gave up after 3 tries.

Next time try it with soup inside. Also, try the bone soup to go with your dry noodle. A huge bowl of soup with pork joint. Pick it up by hand and go at the meat, cartridge, and tendon bits.

Don’t forget to try the thin yellow noodles dry and the thin white noodles in soup. The yellow noodles tend to work better dry and the white ones betters in soup.

You have at least 4 other permutations of the house special soup to try.

1 Like

Is the broth different when they give it to you on the side versus when it is added into the whole thing beforehand?

What are the permutations exactly?

I pretty much ended up eating all of the yellow noodles dry, and pouring soup into my thin white noodles afterwards, so kind of best of both worlds?

I gotta keep the extra ground pork thing in mind.

Is bone soup literally called bone soup there? I walked in and didn’t even look at a menu just said “Can I have house special noodles, dry, both color of noodle: large yellow, and small white, add wontons please”, and that worked out about as well as could be expected. Can I say “bone soup please”?

I probably won’t be back until after I get back from Mexico though… but I have zero doubts that this is a place that will be here in a month, probably still in like 30 years much less 30 days haha

Arturo’s Puffy Tacos (Whittier…bordering La Mirada, La Habra, and Santa Fe Springs)
Guizada puffy tacos and guizada fries with avocado crema and sour cream. The crispy, airy puffy taco shell is a delight. My kids and husband like the chicken and the picadillo, too…but I prefer the unctuousness of the stewed beef. Washed it down with an Orange Bang.

5 Likes

Yes. Bone soup is known as “bone soup”.

The version with “soup inside” has more ground pork bits and also has the picked mustard leaf on the bottom which makes it a bit more garlicky. I don’t recall if the dry version has that.

By permutations I mean combinations of the 4 types of noodles.

You can do both yellow noodles with and without soup.

Both white noodles with and without soup.

Switch to thin yellow and thick white…

FYI, that place is the perfect hangover cure.

Slyman’s Corned Beef in Cleveland …

3 Likes

two guys jawing over a vietnamese restaurant and its noodle permutations is, by definition, h*****.

therefore trieu chao is definitely not an anti h***** restaurant.

You clearly have no idea what hipster means :wink:

Gotta admit, I was thinking the same thing lol

Also… if it wasn’t a hipster joint they probably would’ve kicked me out =P

Picked up my free iced latte from Bar Nine in Culver City. They’re celebrating their 2-year anniversary today. Such a perfectly balanced coffee!

For lunch, I got a veggie tlayuda from Tlayuda L.A. in East Hollywood. It’s a family-run, teeny tiny restaurant. The owner was very personable and chatty, which made me feel quite welcome. I got my tlayuda to go, so the owner was quite worried that the tortilla would be soggy by the time I got home. As usual, I ran errands all over the city this morning, and my tlayuda was still oh so crunchy by the time I got back to the Westside. Every bite was wonderful with the shatteringly crisp tortilla, shredded lettuce, ripe tomato, avocado, thin layer of nicely seasoned beans, and medley of sauteed veggies. The mushrooms were a welcome surprise.

I used to get tlayudas with cecina at Guelaguetza, but this one seemed to be a lot lighter and fresher. I hadn’t had one in such a long time, so Tlayuda L.A. was on my radar for a while, but many thanks to @Dommy for her writeup a while back, which prompted me to make the trip to East Hollywood. Oh and did I mention that it was $10 for this gigantic meal?! I’m saving my leftovers for dinner. What a great value!

4 Likes

Coming from another guy that doesn’t really know what hipster means :wink:

3 Likes

The deconstruction of the word hipster to the point where no one can be identified as a hipster that has taken place on these forums is the most hipster thing I can think of hahaha

i truly dont.

Happy Duck House

Peking Duck…solid but lacked that duck flavor. Skin was on point though.

Thin pancakes are so hipster

Cold pork app

Duck bone soup

Filet mignon with black pepper sauce…perfect dish

Green beans that smack you in the face with garlic, really good

Steamed sea bass…it was very good. Appreciated the swift handed seasoning which really showcased the pure flavor of the fish. Execution couldn’t have been better to my tastes.

Very happy with Happy Duck House.

9 Likes

Hi @A5KOBE,

Nice report. Thanks! How’s the duck here compared with the other 2 SGV recs from our old board? Duck House and the other one on Valley?

Thanks.

Thanks!

I think the duck and duck bone soup about on par with Duck House. But the pancakes are really amazing at Happy Duck House. The chew to them was fantastic. But for me, the other dishes make Happy Duck House much better overall. I could skip the duck and be very very happy (pun intended).

Never been to the place on Valley.

1 Like